• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

First Hollow Form

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
I was looking at a bowl for shaving soap to go with my shaving kits, when I got a crazy idea: maybe I could turn something? I'm the first to admit I'm a pen turner rather than a wood turner, but I hacked off a bit of cherry and stormed at it brandishing a spindle gouge. The result wasn't half bad for a first attempt. (Well, second - the first block of cherry landed in the bin but that's another story!) The inside surface is 'groovy', as I don't have any tool which might help smoothing those compound curves in there. The inside was all done with a scraper because the spindle gouge kept 'snatching'. The little pip on top of the lid is Jarrah.

C&C welcome.

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Well done young David it is just a matter of learning to control the scrapper with the toolrest just above the center and to sheer scrape with the scrapper tilted to about 45deg non the less a good first try

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
You done good for a first attempt!!! The next step is the one leading to better proficiency. Soon you'll be wondering what all the fuss is about, LOL!
Bob.

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
I think that's really good mate, you now have something useful, handmade and good to look at, what's more to ask.

What did you finish it with?

Jim

Grand Master
A very good shape David, especially as this is your first adventure into boxes, well done my friend ... :bwink:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
That's great David...wish I had the know-how...

Me too, mate! Me too ... Seriously, I just put the wood on the lathe and went at it. Amazing what you can do when you try ...

Alex, i finished it with Danish oil but I'm far from happy with the finish. Going to ask for some tips, methinks ...

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Danish oil normally takes several coats denibing between coats soft woods may need up to about 8 coats hard wood some you can get away with 2 or 3 coats it all depends on the wood

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Woody, I found that I was getting marks in the finish while denibbing. I had to use white spirit to take the finish off and try again, but got the marks again with the next denibbing?? Not sure what was going on?

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
How are you doing it David firstly the each coat must be completely dry which will depend were you are doing it the best place is indoors not a shed temperature and humidity will effect the drying time
Apply your oil first coat quite liberally leave for just 5 min then wipe of any excess when it is completely dry denib I use 400 or 600 grit which will leave small scratch marks then wipe the whole thing over with a tac cloth then you are ready for the next thinner coat which will fix any slight scratch marks that may still be there when I have put the last coat on and it is completely dry about a week latter 000 wire wool dipped in paste wax or furniture polish rub it over the whole thing in a circular motion let it dry for about 20 min then buff and you will have a perfect finish
I hope this helps David good luck mate

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Me too, mate! Me too ... Seriously, I just put the wood on the lathe and went at it. Amazing what you can do when you try ...

Alex, i finished it with Danish oil but I'm far from happy with the finish. Going to ask for some tips, methinks ...

David that is the best way to learn mate that's all I have ever done no expensive lessons just have a go whats the worst thing that can happen lump of wood take your eye out LOL seriously all it needs is plane ol common sense with a bit of stupidity which some call bravery and a clean pair of pants just in case :fart: enjoy exploring and pushing the boundary's of this wonderful hobby a positive mind will work wonders see something you like and say to yourself I'm going to make one of them and DO IT not Oh I must wait till I'm better at turning how the heck will you ever get better if you dont try so good for you David keep it mate

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).