• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

wood stablizing resin

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Ok I found this guy on ebay who sells the same as cactus juice he sent me this......Hi, a UK gallon is a fraction over 4.5 litres. I can do you 4 litres for £115 including delivery, or 5 litres for £140 including delivery. Thanks for your enquiry.
then I asked If he could discount a bulk buy and he said.....There could be an opportunity for a bulk buy, it would depend on the quantity as to how much of a discount could be applied. Are you a knife maker, or a pen turner, or something else? Just curious!

So my question is is it something we could get involved in and if so who would be interested Frankie.

Jim

Grand Master
Well i don't believe we know of anyone else here in the UK who sells this .. I wouldn't mind trying him out ... :thinks:

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Jim did you take a look at it ....if its cheaper to get cactus then do that and split it up but we may be able to get the price down to match it.

Jim

Grand Master
Jim did you take a look at it ....if its cheaper to get cactus then do that and split it up but we may be able to get the price down to match it.

Yes i did Frankie, he is expensive but if he has the monopoly in the UK he can charge what he wants ... :rolling:

Jim

Grand Master
Just search ebay for wood stablizing resin you will see him on the first page ... :winking:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Forgive my ignorance but wouldn't this stuff do the job Ronseal WRWH500 500ml Wet Rot Wood Hardener £10 a tin

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Decorators have used it for years to repair window frames and sills put that on first to stabilize the wood then the filler

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Not the same results iv tried it ...it is just an acetone mix it works to a point
but not good enough for what i want.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I have the answer??????????????????
Burn the rotton wood and chop a bloody tree down.
I am in a problem solving mood this morning, is it working here?
I might be getting the sack for some of my solutions at work.:face:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Yes i did Frankie, he is expensive but if he has the monopoly in the UK he can charge what he wants ... :rolling:

No he can't that constitutes a cartell and they are illegal in ths country. Sue him.
I wonder what would be the cheapest option.
I have spoken make it so :tongue:

packrat

First Name
Bruce
Hi guys. I'm Bruce, the chap with the resin. Forgive me registering just to comment but it seemed like a good idea and I hope I'll be able to contribute to the forums in future... I've been thinking for ages that I should join up here, maybe even try my hand at a pen.

I'm a hobbyist knife maker (I'm packrat on britishblades.com). I bought a bulk load of this resin from a UK manufacturer, the idea was to sell some of it, and use some for my own stabilising service (mostly knife handles/scales) and my own projects. I had to buy a lot because there was a minimum order quantity. So as I said to turnaround360 when he contacted me via eBay, I would be very happy to try and negotiate lower prices for larger quantities, but I can't go that much lower without making a loss! My price might seem high but this resin is expensive stuff. By the time I've bought a 1-litre plastic bottle, and a cardboard box, and then factored in my time to print labels, decant it, advertise it, etc, I make virtually nothing on it, I assure you. Certainly I'm not trying to leverage a monopoly position to charge what I like!

I'm sure the community here is as friendly as it is over at britishblades, so I'd be more than happy to sort you guys out a deal that amounts to effectively no more than it cost me. I have too much, and you need some. I'm not interested in making money off it, I have a day job for that, I just want to cover my costs... so if you are interested, let me know.

Cheers :-)

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).