• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Pen of the Week - 19th February 2018

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Thomas is unfortunately unwell at the moment, and quite understandably I've not heard back from him with regard to his choice for Pen of the Week. Therefore I've taken the liberty of choosing a winner in his place, which goes to the pair of pens "Padauk & Sycamore" by [MENTION=1813]xjr1300[/MENTION]

I have to be brutally honest and say that in terms of fit, Pat's photo shows up a couple of issues that with a bit more experience would probably not be there. However rightly or wrongly I'm more than willing to overlook that, firstly for the simple reason that he has been making pens for only a matter of weeks, (and even then only because he inherited a lathe he wasn't expecting), but mainly because this pair of pens demonstrates a keen talent for segmenting that results in the most modern and elegant of designs. Segmenting tends to be a discipline that people experiment with after the benefit of time under their belt, but Pat is straight at it from the word go. It isn't just segmenting for the sake of segmenting though, it is segmenting with a considerable amount of thought, skill and good taste, and it's wonderful too see a relative newcomer to our craft thinking outside of the proverbial box to such great effect. I like them a lot.

34845d1518816133-padauk-sycamore-20180216_172926-jpg

Here's the link to Pat's original post. http://www.penturners.co.uk/wood-turned-items/21285-padauk-sycamore.html

First Name
Craig
I can't argue with this decision. A cracking pair of pens and as has been said, they show off a great deal of skill. Very well turned. Congratulations.

Regards

Craig

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).