• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Barley Twist

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I was at a seminar with Stuart Mortimer earlier this year and have just got around to trying a barley twist, which he is well known for.

I thought I would use a bit of scrap wood for my first attempt, sure that it would be a waste of something a bit more exotic, so I used spalted Silver Birch and it was really punky. It is so light it would blow down very easily. It's 8" tall.

Peter

Attachments

• BarleyTwist.jpg
    BarleyTwist.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 50

Jim

Grand Master
Well seeing this Peter, you had no worries doing this in your best wood ..It looks super .. :thumbs:

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
I like it..

I wished I had got a piece of "scrap" wood like that...:love_it:

Really well turned, never done any barely twist before, but looks like its something's will have to put on my to do list..

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I like it..

I wished I had got a piece of "scrap" wood like that...:love_it:

Really well turned, never done any barely twist before, but looks like its something's will have to put on my to do list..

They are really fun to do, well worth the effort.

I suppose scrap is relative, I have a friend with 12 acres of woodland, unfortunately it is mostly populated with silver birch so this is my scrap wood :devil:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Thank you woody, that's kind of you.

Peter

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
Peter, thats brill...:thumbs: the spalted birch really looks a treat. I am going to put this into my 'need to have a go at' list which is getting longer and longer..

Well done again:love_it:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
They are quite easy. The twist is mostly done with the lathe switched off.

Peter

dotslad

Graduate Member
Peter that is fantastic beautiful wood and beautiful turning I only wish I had the knowledge and skill to do this.
Perhaps we could meet up and you could show me how it's done.
Ian:whistling:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Here he goes again how do you know it is beyond you have you tried yet :nooidea::nooidea:

The biggest difficulty with a barley twist is overcoming your own misguided perception that it is hard to do, it isn't, it's easy-peasy. Look, I can do it, so can anyone.

:thinks: Actually it is really difficult to do, so please do not attempt it without expensive tuition, I can be reached on my normal Number:banana:

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Peter that is fantastic beautiful wood and beautiful turning I only wish I had the knowledge and skill to do this.
Perhaps we could meet up and you could show me how it's done.
Ian:whistling:

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to arrange something for a few weeks. If you PM me your Telephone number I will give you a call and we can sort something out.

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Well beyond me, but lovely to behold. Well done!

Honestly it is not that difficult, arrange another Southern Elite Outing to Axminster and that place you all got the burrs from and I will come along to it and walk you through the process, you will kick yourself when you see how easy it is.

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).