• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Clear Acrylic Tube Cigar pen 1st attempt !!

johnny5

Registered
After seeing Rowdys Clear Acrylic pens It gave me an idea.
I purchased some 12mm external diameter and 10 mm internal clear plastic tubing from Clear Plastic supplies in Chesterfield.
They are cheap enough, 3foot lengths for a couple of quid, however the minimum carriage fee is £15, so you will need a few people to order a quantity to reduce carriage cost as it will cost the same for many more tubes as it is for only one or two.
here is my attempt

Cigar pens 010.JPGCigar pens 011.JPGCigar pens 014.JPGCigar pens 013.JPG

Feels like cheating as no turning involved , but opens other options, will need a bit more practice to be able to sell them :thinks:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Daft sod, I have thousands of Metres of it I have been offering it for god knows how long and you go and buy it.
Well I think I have heard it all now init.
I only offered it last week here and am packing it today for those that took the offer.
Can't wait a few days is it?

johnny5

Registered
Thanks for the witty retort big fella,
like I said tried them and did not like them , not really woodturning is it old chap.
thanks for the words of wisdom though
john

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
No John it's not wood turning but it is an alternative to clear acrylic casting and for those who want to advertise their goods it is a quick and efficient way of doing it on a pen.
many people strive to get paper with their own logo stuck to a tube and cast in clear, with this method it's easy init?
I don't see anywhere you say you don't like them and your pictures aren't clear or big enough to actually see what you have done.
I don't see it as cheating but as a means to an end, and yes you could and I, do turn the ends to chamfer to nib, belt and finial, then Micromesh the whole thing to get it crystal clear.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).