• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Off centre

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Made a couple of pens today and both of them were 1mm off centre when assembled. I don't know why. Any help on what to check.

keith

Jim

Grand Master
Do you have a picture showing where it is showing out of round Keith? Was the barrel holes centered? :nooidea:

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
View attachment 93
Hope this shows it properly Jim. Its slightly off centre at one end and off centre the other way at the other end. The cap is OK. The last three pens have been the same but the slim line I did was perfect.

keith

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Keith, are you turning on a mandrel? If so, something must be wonky with the bushings. The brass tube must have been off-centre when you turned it down. Can't think of anything else that would cause it. Just spitballing, but is it possible that you didn't seat the bushing inside the tube on one end? Or both ends? You wouldn't have that problem with slimlines because the tube centres directly on the mandrel. Hope this helps,

David

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
David, thanks for the reply. Yes I did use a mandrel. I'll be home the weekend and try it as you suggest.

keith

Jim

Grand Master
I had this before Keith, if you look at the barrel edge you may see that the accent is off-set to the barrel, for some reason the blank edge is not square. Or like Tony says, to much pressure when fitting the accent? Just one more thing to remember when putting together the baron, always make sure that the nib end is screwed up tight in its accent, if it isn't this can cause the same problem. :thinks:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I know the feeling Yorkshireman, just when you think you have cracked it it comes back and smacks you in the face lol. :rolling:

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Just done a baron pen and when I started turning I had the same problem. After a bit of investigation it was a combination of the ends not been squared properly and the bushes are a bit loose on the spindle. Managed to square the ends and get the bushes sat right and it turned out OK but I must buy some new bushes.

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Wish i had a pound for the pens i have turned off center, not all of the same problem, but i don't pick it up until i put them together. :down: Nice to know what you issue was Yorkshireman. :bwink:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).