• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Importing kits

Wennthepen

Apprentice Member
No doubt this has been discussed before my joining, but I am thinking of importing some kits from the States or Oz. Is it worth it in monetary terms regarding import tax/VAT and are there any other pitfalls from those that have done it or indeed still do it?

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Like wise but I have always paid a fortune in taxes and post office charges from the states

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Keep TB orders under 170 GBP and you shouldn't get bothered if you opt for TNT delivery.

I got my last order in 2 days for 22aud which is bloody amazing really.

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
TB is the way to go ..keep within the price and weight limits and deliveries are hassle free.

Jim

Grand Master
As other have stated WTP, keep the cost and weight down and you will not incur other charges, Timberbits has a very good name with Pen Kits here in the UK ... :wink:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Timberbits is the way to go, I have at least one order from them every month.

It's not just the penkits from them that are good, their abrasive is great value and it's crazy that I can buy it cheaper from them than I can here. Look at their MicroMesh, they have great oz blanks as well. David is a pleasure to deal with:thumbs:

Peter

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
I have imported from oz and the states.

The import taxes are from our government and depends on where you import from. See below links

https://www.gov.uk/importing-goods-from-outside-the-eu

HM Revenue & Customs :ave_it:

The handling charges are what you pay for the privilege of letting the Royal Mail, fed ex or USPS (plus any other) deliver your goods to the UK.:nonono:

All in all it depends on what pens you want to import and what you like to turn which will let you decide where you get them from.

I understand that allot of TB pens are made by dayacom and they are one of the better manufactures out there.:up:

If importing from the states then if you see the price in dollars, change the $ for £ and that's what you end up paying.. So if its $5 per kit then you will pay £5 for it by the time it's in the UK with postage, import taxes and vat are added.:vangry:

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Be warned, just because you have the package from TB via TNT in your grubby mit, there may be a nasty letter winging its way from the Customs clearing department in Northampton, and this can take up to three months, I got five love letters from them all in one go last year, right ruined my Xmas, particularily as they have the power to charge you a non negotiable fee of up to £40 for the privilidge of using their deferment account.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).