• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Pen of the Week - 18th June 2018

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
I haven't heard back from Johnny5, and I suspect he may be away on holiday, so it has fallen to me to choose a winner in his stead. There have been lots of deserving pens this week and in fact I've been spoiled for choice. I've been umming and erring between several of them for quite a while and it's been a hard decision, but in the end I've selected the Antler Sirocco and Stand by [MENTION=1687]Gregory Hardy[/MENTION].

It's simple and accurate turning from natural materials, the profile of which marries in perfectly and gives continuity to the profile of the components, it's a great match with the plating of the kit, it has a great story behind it and reason for making it, and I love the stand that Greg has made to go with it too.

36104d1529002660-antler-sirocco-stand-img_3335-cropped-jpg

Here's the link to Greg's original post. http://www.penturners.co.uk/other-material-turned-items/21856-antler-sirocco-stand.html

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
A very good choice there.....i like the way the copper lifts the antler really clever choice....well done Greg:thumbs:

Gregory Hardy

Graduate Member
First Name
Greg
No, Colin! Not 0.03" It was 0.003", but I don't feel any better about it. ("A miss is a good as a mile.")

And I think that this Dart Character needs to set some higher standards before he makes a selection. (Wait...maybe the barrel was perfect and the nose section of the kit was UNDER 0.003". That's it, damn it. That's my lie and I am sticking to it! Try and step up up your quality control a little, Phil.)

The pen was really not submitted seriously - I am so dedicated to some other types of pen making. This one was really submitted for the story. The kit and barrel (and stand, as I am learning) just happened to be a really delightful combination. Update: I delivered it to the mom next door yesterday (who cried) and she is going to save it for the girl's birthday in two weeks. Not as artistically satisfying as watching someone light up over one of my entirely custom fountain pens, but my heart feels the same. Compounded, this is the heart of a little girl, and my neighbor, and one of my "kids at school." I've made many much nicer pens on so many levels, but I doubt I will have made many more memorable ones. Someday, she will see the "Pen of the Week" screenshot and say, "I wonder where Mr. Hardy is today. Probably in a 'home' or something." Maybe she'll drop me a card at the home.

Thanks again, Phil, for the recognition. (And work on those kit tolerances, brother.)

Gregory Hardy

Graduate Member
First Name
Greg
Yeah, okay Phil - You still get to be the second funniest guy I know. BTW - Next time we're riding double, no seat for you and the funniest guy will hit every bump in the road.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).