• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Hello from Glenrothes

Mike Dempsey

Came across this forum last night, had a browse and then joined.
I have been making pens for about 15 years now. I mainly make them for the corporate sector as I have drastically reduced the number of craft fairs and exhibitions I attend. I have my own laser and can engrave company logos, wording etc on the boxes and pens.
Woodturning is only a small part of my business and I mainly do specific items for the whisky industry made in the main from timber.
I have an Alaskan mill and mill all my own timber from local windblown trees and then kiln dry it. I can mill up to about a 32" log and any bigger get my mate in work with him as he can do up to about a 50" log with his set up.
I am in the process of redesigning my kiln and hopefully it will be built and running before the new year. I broke up the first one about a year ago as I wasn't happy with its performance and since then have been working my way through a couple of hundred cubic feet of oak, yew, elm, ash, beech and sycamore.
Having to spend about 1k on oak during the summer has spurred me on to finish the new kiln project!

Mike

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Welcome Mike, good to see another resident north of the border join the forum, enjoy, but watch out, the softy southerners are mad as hatters :whistling::whistling::funny::funny:
Watch out you imitation jock, from where I originally hail from, youre a bloody southerner matey so steady on!!!!

Whats wrong with southerners anyway? at least the locals down hear don't winge and moan about a so called divide:face::face:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
That sounds like a wonderful set up. Welcome to the forum.

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Watch out you imitation jock, from where I originally hail from, youre a bloody southerner matey so steady on!!!!

Whats wrong with southerners anyway? at least the locals down hear don't winge and moan about a so called divide:face::face:

Except perhaps Watford:whistling:

Peter

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Hi there Mike ,welcome ..sounds like you have a great life up there playing with all that wood.:thumbs:

MarkW

Welcome from the most southerly of all and sounds like you are well catered for with timber

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Except Watford - agreed, and Peckham. And probably Ealing Broadway and downtown Slough.

I used to think Bracknell was the armpit of the universe ... Then I got a contract in Slough! Now I think Bracknell is quite posh ... :sob:

Welcome Mike. Love to see some pics of your setup.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I used to think Bracknell was the armpit of the universe ... Then I got a contract in Slough! Now I think Bracknell is quite posh ... :sob:

Welcome Mike. Love to see some pics of your setup.

I think armpit is being quite kind to Slough, there are some areas that are not bad (relatively), but then there are others like Chalvey, not an area to frequent especially at night and not somewhere you would want to go in the daytime.

Peter

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
Welcome on board Mike, hopefully you will share your talent here. Some photos of your work would be nice...
Sit back, participate, enjoy the banter...:winking:

Jim

Grand Master
Welcome to the forums Mike, i wouldn't mind having the same equipment you have, i would feel like a kid in a sweet shop ... :ciggrin:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).