• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Bet yew wish yew'd been with me today

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Anyone who can't guess which timber is coming should be shot :funny:

I was lucky enough to have the absolute pleasure of a bowl turning lesson from our one and only Woody.

I'm still spinning from the amount of stuff I've learned today and can't wait to put some of it into practice.

An really fabulous day in the company of a true master at his craft and he even managed not to laugh too much when I had the scraper upside down at one point wondering why b*gger all was happening.

Here's the biggest bowl I've turned to date, the multiple cracks and rays needed quite a bit of stabilising along the way which I don't think I would have persevered with had I not been in such skilled company.

I'm truly delighted with the result and will be oiling it and putting it in pride of place somewhere.

Thank you once again Woody for a fabulous day and giving of your time and expertise so generously.

English Yew 8" x 3" no finish on it just yet, flash has blown some of the colour out, I might redo the pics tomorrow in natural light but really wanted to share the day.

SAM_2691a.JPG

SAM_2692a.JPG

SAM_2693a.JPG

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Very Nice, is it Laburnum:winking:

Peter

Jim

Grand Master
Looking at this Phill, it is hard to believe you just started out in this game... It is marvellous knowing that only a few months ago Woody and yourself had never met and today the great man is freely giving his time helping you with the making of this Bowl ... This is what we are about ... Love It!! :thumbs:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Phil you must be so proud of that ...I know I would be . As for the great man himself ,I think that some people would give one of their limbs to have him down as a friend .

P.S Lovely piece of Golden Oak by the way.:devil::devil::devil:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Yew have every right to be proud of that lovely work of art there Phil.
I am pleased for you that you enjoyed yourself in the company of the old tart and his lovely wife.
Rock on mate put that lesson to good use and spin another one for us to delight over.

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi, Phill,
You've made a beautiful job of that yew, matey! A lovely bowl, indeed! And well done to Woody for being your mentor:love_it::love_it::love_it:
Bob.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
It is a real pleasure to show those who have such a desire and hunger to learn oh and bring a few spare bowl blanks and a few bottles of onk opps shilly me I neen plnk sorry plonk oooo its a loverly day I meeeeen nite ow I gish uf up
Thank you Phil for such a wonderful day mate

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
Yew lucky b*stard ... Wish I lived closer to the great man! Lovely piece of sassafras, too ...

As David says..... Lucky Bleeder........ Lovely Bowl, :love_it: totally envious here :sob::sob::sob:
Wish I lived closer to the great man! Maybe one day I may get up there.....

Attachments

• DSCN0379 copy.jpg
    DSCN0379 copy.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCN0380 copy.jpg
    DSCN0380 copy.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCN0328 copy.jpg
    DSCN0328 copy.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCN0381 copy.jpg
    DSCN0381 copy.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCN0377 copy.jpg
    DSCN0377 copy.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Zeta Vintag Acrylic.jpg
    Zeta Vintag Acrylic.jpg
    391.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Zeta  Green and Red Acrylic.jpg
    Zeta Green and Red Acrylic.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 2
  • Zeta Sassy Grass.jpg
    Zeta Sassy Grass.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 2

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
As David says..... Lucky Bleeder........ Lovely Bowl, :love_it: totally envious here :sob::sob::sob:
Wish I lived closer to the great man! Maybe one day I may get up there.....

You would be most welcome Rowdy weeesh that uva botuw of plinl plonk may ash well av a jon smif to go wiv it

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
I forgot to say that Woody also helped me salvage a small sycamore bowl that ripped itself out of the chuck on Saturday and split the dovetail.

2 things I learned there, incorrect ( read crap ) use of chisel caused the flyaway bowl in the first place, and its amazing how a piece of paper towel and a tailstock will hold something while it's spinning and you attack it with a metal bar.

When I saw him start to put it on the chuck like that I was beginning to wish I'd worn my brown chinos not blue :funny:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Phill,

Great effort mate life turning is tough enough without getting the shakes. Interested to see the finished article considerate of you Woody to spend time with Phill and I agree thats what sharing truly is.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).