• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Sanding Sealer

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Does anyone use this, and if you do you you use thinners to water it down?

Now my question is, why water it down? :thinks:

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
i use sealer, but i use a product from Tru oil, not the shellac version, and i use it neat.. and only when i finish with tru oil

Jim

Grand Master
I use it watered down because that is what i was taught ... :goesred:

Now tell us if you actually use it to? :whistling:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Wild guess, but given that the idea with sanding sealer is that it soaks into the grain, maybe the advice to thin it comes from a desire to make it run better into the grain? I haven't used it yet, but plan to as applying dye to wood without sanding sealer can be a bit of a crapshoot.

David

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Sorry, my brain started working after I hit 'Post'. There's an article in the latest issue of American Woodworker about using sanding sealer to get a more consistent finish when you dye wood (or stain, I think). The thinning reduces the 'sealing' effect, allowing more dye into the wood. So if neat sanding sealer led to a pale finish (very little dye able to penetrate), a thinned coat would lead to a darker finish (more dye able to penetrate). Maybe that's got something to do with it?

For clarity, the sanding sealer is applied BEFORE the dye. Make sense?

David

Jim

Grand Master
Sorry, my brain started working after I hit 'Post'. There's an article in the latest issue of American Woodworker about using sanding sealer to get a more consistent finish when you dye wood (or stain, I think). The thinning reduces the 'sealing' effect, allowing more dye into the wood. So if neat sanding sealer led to a pale finish (very little dye able to penetrate), a thinned coat would lead to a darker finish (more dye able to penetrate). Maybe that's got something to do with it?

David

Some good info there David, thanks for finding that ... :thumbs:

Thinners is used as a 50/50 mix with sanding sealer purely to make it go further and I got that info from a professional turner.

Regards

Terry

Terry, this is what i was also taught, hence my earlier reply, now David has added a new which also makes sense ... :thinks:

Jim

Grand Master
The tins i have of both the sealer and the thinners must be well into their third year, and still a third left, so thinning this down certainly is a saver ... :bwink:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy

David

Thinners is used as a 50/50 mix with sanding sealer purely to make it go further and I got that info from a professional turner.

Regards

Terry

I use it watered down because that is what i was taught ... :goesred:

Now tell us if you actually use it to? :whistling:

I asked as i am in the process of buying and was told that you need to water it down, but the chap couldn't tell me why. The kind gentlemen above have answered my question and now my mind is at ease. :ciggrin:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Since i started turning i have always used sealer, but only recently with it watered down. To be honest i cant tell the diference. :nooidea:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).