• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Bushings or Bushes?

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
In English bushes in the USA and Ox bushings but some people seem to have adopted bushings for some silly reason so the answer to be politically correct is ENGLISH BUSHES after all we are English :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
I think the reason people use American words is because
when they get involved in a new hobby they watch a lot of you tube
a hear words and take for granted that's the correct terminology.

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
I think we call them bushings is that the pen kits predominantly American and Australian and they call them bushings in their paperwork and we follow on. I have noticed a few turners on here spell the word "center" when in fact it is "centre" Again American spelling!!!!:thinks::thinks::thinks:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I'm waiting for Brian to come in on this one it is one of his pet subjects as for the word centre the spell check throws it up as wrong and I'm guilty of that one then

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Part of the problem with Tinterweb is it has made the world so small and communication instant.
Therefore we are going to get cross cultures on it with all there foibles and quirks.
I am still a firm believer that the English language should be kept as the English language, there is no dialect in the written word.
The English ? British amongst us should set an example to the rest of the world by introducing a penalty system of fines or such, as a swear box in a pub.
Anyone using the word Burl or Bushing should be taken outside and publicly flogged, Bring back the Birch I say init???
Keep England in Britain I say Vote for Grump in the next erection.
Leave the Chinese for the Yanks to speak init??
Is that better dad??

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
I dont care what anyone says I like the word burl we use a lot of french words in
everyday life but i dont hear you banging on about that .:funny:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Laisser les Français d'être parlée par eux.
Notre langue riche et fluide est né de nombreux pays et est en perpétuel changement, le plus multiculturel que nous devenons plus notre langue est modifiée.
Cela ne veut pas dire que je suis d'accord avec elle ou l'aimer

Leave the French to be spoken by them.
Our rich and fluent language is born from many countries and is forever changing, the more multi cultural we become the more our language will change.
That doesn't mean I have to agree with it or like it.

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Don't get me started on Americanese. If you read my book you will see it has been translated into Americanese. You have no idea how much this galled me despite the likelihood of extra sales in the USA. There is a separate US version anyway so why the need to edit the UK version? But what do I know? I only wrote the bl***y thing.

If you buy Mark Baker's book and video "Wood Turning - A Craftsmans Guide" or view the YouTube preview below the voice you hear is not Mark's but that of an an American. Why do British viewers have to be subjected to Yank-speak? There is nothing wrong with Mark's voice, he doesn't have a speech impediment or a strong accent so WHY detach him from his audience? The marketers have much to answer for in my opinion.

Wood Turning: A Craftman's Guide by Mark Baker (woodturning DVD preview) - YouTube

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).