PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Chindit
05-11-13, 12:38
Hi, Just found this forum this morning, I'm 65 years old I've recently semi retired and set up a workshop in the garden, The last time I used a lathe I was at school.

So I'm sure I'm in the right place for Hints and tips to get me started.

Phil.

retreatjohn
05-11-13, 12:39
Welcome to the 'friendly forum'!!

Grump
05-11-13, 12:43
Wotchya and welcome.
First hint is: Unless you live in a very warm and dry climate, get that workshop under cover, a shed would be a good idea if you don't have a lean too or garage like the posh members here.

L200arg
05-11-13, 12:55
Hello and welcome Phil ...

MarkW
05-11-13, 12:56
Hello and welcome

Paul
05-11-13, 13:33
Hello, welcome, and post your pens, the chaps here give very helpful advice. :thumbs:

Terry
05-11-13, 13:35
Welcome aboard Phil and enjoy the banter!!!

dotslad
05-11-13, 14:12
Warm welcome Phil you are starting just as I did on retirement but five years ago you will find like I did that wood turning is a fascinating hobby especially the pen turning. I find it's something I never get bored with.
This is a great forum to be on but like all forums it's down to what you put in as to what you get out please post pictures of you work don't be shy none of us were born turners and the help and support you will get on this forum is second to none.
Perhaps you would be good enough to post your location a little bit more precisely ie. town
best regards Ian :whistling::banana::banana:

Jimjam66
05-11-13, 14:25
Welcome Phil! Looking forward to seeing what comes out of that garden workshop!

edlea
05-11-13, 14:56
Hi Chindit welcome ..you weren't with Wingate were you ? You will like it here. My history in turning was just as yours was, now after only three months of taking lessons from these chaps I, without doubt, make the best pens on the forum ! Others will tell you different. If I were you I'd be inclined to believe them !:whistling:

stevenw1963
05-11-13, 15:03
Hi Chindit welcome ..you weren't with Wingate were you ? You will like it here. My history in turning was just as yours was, now after only three months of taking lessons from these chaps I, without doubt, make the best pens on the forum ! Others will tell you different. If I were you I'd be inclined to believe them !:whistling:

:funny::funny::funny::funny::funny::funny::funny:: funny::funny:

YEs, well.................. welcome, join in & enjoy

Woody
05-11-13, 15:11
Oh you poor man you will find yourself on the long slippery road of bankruptcy and joining this forum you have taken the first step to insanity now with winter coming is it wise turning in the garden LOL welcome and enjoy being part off this madhouse just watch out for the plonkers they are taking over

Chindit
05-11-13, 18:06
Hi edlea, I wasn't with Wingate I'm too young but my dad was.

bellringer
05-11-13, 18:16
Welcome for the youngest top dog

Buckeye
05-11-13, 18:32
Welcome to the forum, enjoy!

Peter

edlea
05-11-13, 18:50

What a bunch of hero's they were. I would have been proud just to have personally known one of them .:thumbs:

Doug
05-11-13, 18:52
Hi & welcome :waver:

turnaround360
05-11-13, 19:05
come in sit down relax..tea break over now get back in that workshop Hi and welcome.

paulm
05-11-13, 20:57
Welcome Phil

Jim
05-11-13, 21:08

Welcome to the forums Phil, and respect to your father .. :thumbs: Was he one of the 2182 survivors who returned to India ... :thinks:

naxie
06-11-13, 09:20
Welcome to the forum Phil! :waver:

Myself and Retreatjohn use the type of lathe you probably learned to turn on at school, a Graduate! They are still going strong to this day.:thumbs:

I hope you enjoy yourself here with us looneys, and I hope you have some winter woolies for your garden workshop!

Penpal
06-11-13, 11:09
Phil,

Trust the faeries at your garden are kind to you in your quest for the ultimate pen on the end of the rainbow and your retirement is fruitfull and relaxing for you, I found I had to accellerate fifteen years ago when I retired. Welcome and bring your results with you there are no strangers here.

Kind regards Peter down under.:thinks: