• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

EEE Shellawax

alisboy

Hi All

have been looking at some finishing for my pens (just starting this weekend) ca, Shellawax. This may bring lots of different choices but i am asking for some advice on what to use?

Thanks
Ernie

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I tend to use ca on all my pens. It took a bit of a knack using ca but if you keep at it and use wet and dry between each coat and finish with burnishing cream you'll get a good finish

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Polish all the time for me and has been for over 20 years and never let me down I cant stand CA its bad enough when a bit of wood needs to be stabilized I have never come across anything so unhealthy runny nose and eyes restricted breathing sneezing for the rest of the day I hate to think what it is doing to your lungs

Jim

Grand Master
When i had the lathe in the shed the CA never bothered me at all as i had the window right in front of me open .. When i did the Burr Elm set at the weekend in the lean-to i know exactly where you are coming from Woody, as i had nowhere for the fumes to go .. :down: It will have to be a special pen for me to use the CA as a finish in the future ... :thinks:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
CA is such a good finish, fortunately it has no effect on me, unless I am sitting right above it for 30mins or more. Use a vapour mask Jim, it will be okay with one.

Peter

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I do understand what everyone means about ca and its true, be very careful when using it. I have had bad episodes of being unable to breath after using it and have now bought a 3m respirator because of it, but the finish is worth it in my opinion.

Pete B

Registered
CA is a very good finish and lasts the longest.
I hate doing it though for the same reason as everyone else.

the shellawax i started using a while ago and i don't know but it might not last as long as CA, but its very good and seriously fast to put on.
Its supposed to form a bond with the wood over time, i don't know whether thats true or not but i don't think i will be doing many CA finishes from now on

Pete

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Im sorry Pete but I have to disagree with your statement regarding the duration of polish finish you only have to look at antique furniture all with a polish finish so polish has proved itself over hundreds of years if it dose go dull it only needs refreshing also it is so easy to repair C A finish hasn't been around long enough to prove itself and it isn't easy to repair anyway this is just my theory and it justifies me carrying on polishing pens it wouldn't do for us all to be the same would it LOL happy turning

Pete B

Registered
Hi Woody,

i am delighted you do disagree as i hope it lasts and lasts as i don't like CA finish at all.
But all i was saying was i didn't know myself what its long term use would look like.
I know what you re saying about furniture but they don't get handled everyday, all day long etc
Shellawax looks good, is east to apply and very fast, and i probably know better now than i did before because of comments form people who have been using it for longer than i have, that it probably does last and last.

Regards

Pete

Regards

Pete

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I hate using CA for the same reasons but it gives me the finish I want in the time I want.
I am not averse to using polishes or waxes but I won't pay stupid money for someone to endorse a "must have " product.
A chunk of Beeswax and a drop of turps will give you a lovely wax you can proud of using init?

alisboy

Thanks for all the reply's and i will check the process for Polish and shellawax as JIM and Woody say and try CA for an experiment this weekend as I already have some here. I will post some pictures early next week of my efforts.

Ernie

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).