• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Jacaranda platter

ilya

Wanted to share a couple of photos of a platter that I made of Jacaranda. the timber comes from Queensland, Australia. Finish is 3 layers of Osmo oil. The diameter is just under 40cm.

In my view, the texture is just stunning. I was lucky to buy such a great piece of timber - I couldn't tell much about the texture by looking on the rough cut blank.

Attachments

• front_small.jpg
    front_small.jpg
    329.7 KB · Views: 61
  • back_small.jpg
    back_small.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 60

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
What a lovely piece of wood and the bowl shape is superb and well finished.. You should be really proud of that..

I have never seen or had the privilege to work with Jacaranda but it looks really nice wood..

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Beautiful figuring in the wood & a lovely platter :claps:

I've seen native figured Ash from the UK that looks not that dissimilar to Jacaranda, is it a common timber in Australia?

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Breathtaking Ilya! And beautifully turned and finished too. Jacaranda is very common in southern aAfrica where I grew up, but I never got to turn it, mores the pity.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
ILya,

I have seen this platter your first I understand it is superb with a flawless finish and I also did see the timber in the rough, quite a revelation its a privilige to have you as a friend.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
A beautiful piece and well deserving of all the positive comments received here.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
That is really a stunning piece of wood and you have done it proud with meticulous finishing.

Peter

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Nice work Ilya, very well presented to us too.
Peter has quite rightly put you to the top of the class.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Very nice piece of work indeed. Lovely shape and the finish is perfect. How did you apply the Osma oil? I have some but it takes a long time to dry

Jim

Grand Master
Lovely looking platter Ilya, the grain in this woods looks superb ... :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).