• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

'Rescue' Oak Cigar XL

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
This was cut from a 6" by 4" oak beam about 12' long given me by a customer (of my day-job). The knotty pocket seemed like the ideal area to cut pen-blanks from, but it was the devil to turn because chunks kept breaking away and I had to stop to CA them back in. Eventually turned out rather well apart from a tiny area of sanding grit trapped in the CA finish just above the nib. Must be more careful about removing dust before applying finish in future!

The kit was an expensive Cigar, all nice heavy brass bits but it looks like a hooker's bedroom! Not my idea of a masculine pen. I will give this to the customer who gave me the oak.

View attachment 102

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
That is the first i have seen of a Brass cigar, and i like it, i like it alot. :bwink:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
XL must be big as i have made a couple of cigar pens and thought they were big. :thinks: Very nice piece of timber jimjiam.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Andy, the XL is identical size wise to the normal Cigar. It uses 'better' accents, replacing the black enamel and plain clip with patterned bits in solid (albeit gold-plated) brass. For this privilege you part with about an extra £3 per kit. I have to say its grown on me since I got over the first shock ...

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).