• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Sewing needle holder

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
As requested by the Mother in Law, a holder for sewing needles.

Made from Box wood & finished with Carnauba wax.

SAM_0987_zps0bad3209.jpg

SAM_0989_zps56ff055d.jpg

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
Lovely bit of turning Doug, the box wood looks stunning... Well Done :claps::claps::claps:
I may nick the idea later. But first I need to have a go at chasing threads... This is another one for the ' Got to try this ' bucket

Jim

Grand Master
Smashing idea Doug, i like the burn rings ... :thumbs: Are the chaser tools worth buying? :thinks:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Are the chaser tools worth buying? :thinks:

Only if you want to chase threads :devil::devil:

To be honest I like chasing threads so I think they are very worthwhile, it`s not everyones cup of tea though.
You need a lathe that will go down to around the 350 RPM mark & most of the timbers that will take a thread easily are pretty expensive.
I bought my Uni-chaser un-handled so it was fairly reasonably priced, but best of all it`s quite a challenge, which is what I like.

If you`re ever down this way & fancy trying your hand then give me a shout.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Fantastic idea, I'd better not let my wife see it until I've had a practice but I think it'll be a bung, threads are a bit advanced for me at the moment. Lovely job by the way.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Nice one Doug neat idea well executed.
I have Woody's old thread chasers if anyone wants to have a go with em before buying some.
PM me and we can sort out a loan for P&P and yu pass em on to next person in queue when you finished wiv em.
If they end up back with me or Woody I would be happy.
I used em a few times but don't need em init?

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Doug Needle Cases make great friends years ago I made a heap using felting needles for SWMBO and her cloth doll group they went down a treat the needles have a reverse barb on them bought them from a felting factory they used them by the thousands in their machines.

Sophisticated threading and I agree expensive timber needed for thread cutting also IMHO outstanding gift you made.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
As others have said, it is a great idea, it is nicely done and looks great. Plus it gives you brownie points with the MIL.

Peter

Jim

Grand Master
Curiosity did me yesterday and i had to google this new chasing idea (to me) ... Respect to you who use this method ... :wink:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Lovely - I'd rather chase women than chase threads, but to each his own ...

:face:

Been married tooooooo long to even think about that :funny::funny::funny: I only have to smile at a woman & somehow she knows :nonono::nonono:

Reminds me of a Joke.

Bloke in a supermarket looses his wife, unable to find her he asks a young lady if she could help him in his search.
The young lady replies that as she doesn`t have a clue what his wife looks like she can`t imagine she will be much help.
To which he replies "Don`t worry anytime I talk to a beautiful woman she appears"

lignaterrae

I tried chasing threads in wood many years ago. Created a lot of expensive firewood. It be witchcraft!
Curiosity did me yesterday and i had to google this new chasing idea (to me) ... Respect to you who use this method ... :wink:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).