• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Displaying Your Pen

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I've been working on a template to show my pens on the web. What do you think so far. Any feedback good or bad appreciated.

Attachments

• templ1.jpg
    templ1.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 54
  • templ2.jpg
    templ2.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 49

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
They look good, I have never seen a hoverpen before, but they do look good.

Peter

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
I think the novelty of a floating image distracts from the main subject itself, as does the shadow...sorry Paul but that's how I see it . Lovely clear photography though.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Thanks for the comments. Whether good or bad, it helps me to get better and I understand what you mean Ed. I will have to put some uncluttered images of the pens as well on my web site

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Is This Better

Having less of a shadow and fading the background brings more attention to the pen. I think! What do you think?

Attachments

• cal4.jpg
    cal4.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 44

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
It does, but the cut out really needs work, it's very hard to do it successfully, look at the area around the bottom cap.

Peter

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I see what you mean Peter, 6/10 for detail eh? Just like when I was at school :whistling:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Presentation is one of most important aspects with anything you are going to sell, it's okay here, but not if it's on your own website.

Peter

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
I do think the second attempt is less distracting though, Paul. As Peter says, removing the background from something as complex in both shape and shade as a pen can be a challenge.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Paul, 10 out of 10 for having a go mate. There are traditional pen collectors who would drool over neat lettering etc who would and should rave over your first two pics. Here on this forum be as Arty as you can win some lose some. On the web if you wish to triumph clear , clean pics of a pen will sell best unadorned by a simple repeatable formula, placing, lighting etc. have a gaze at selling pics by David at Timberbits witness what a busy bloke does his pens made for some of the big five makers of kits and his pics adorned their brochures all over the world. I have a simple method works real well most of the time easy peasy setup ten minutes tops no foll de roll of excessive photoshopping clean clear pics works for me any details check my previous posts.

Kind regards Peter.:goesred::thinks:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Thanks to everyone, Honesty is what counts and to get the best, which is what I want, I need to be told when less is more. Watch this space. :thinks:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Thanks to everyone, Honesty is what counts and to get the best, which is what I want, I need to be told when less is more. Watch this space. :thinks:

Paul I am sorry if I upset you, but I could see the problems around the end cap and I thought you would rather it wasn't like. Sorry.

Peter

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Peter, you didn't upset me. I asked for honesty and you gave it and that is what I wanted. I value the opinion everyone gave me and I have taken it on board. I really do want to do the best and to do that I need honesty and act on it otherwise I shouldn't have asked in the first place and therefore I thank you for your opinion and I apologise if I seemed upset.

Paul I am sorry if I upset you, but I could see the problems around the end cap and I thought you would rather it wasn't like. Sorry.

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I'm glad you took it like that, it certainly was meant with the best intentions.:up:

Peter

Paul

Fellow
I looks the concept of associating the pen with a sytle but it distracts from the pen,s beauty IMHO. How about having in some shots something that has the calligraphy on it . A card or thank you note proped ner the pen? It implies that this pen enables one to write with style etc.

You could use the template as a water mark faded into the back of the website. Again making association. Enjoy the experimentation.

There's a chap in America retails segmentated pens at 150 dollars, has a backstory, good looking pen, but better here I think. But you feel that you are getting something of style. I'll try and post the link if I can find it again. I found it before I started turning and I was convinced. Until I saw the work here.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).