• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Oiling bowls - How many coats ?

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Right first time oiling a bowl.

The one I did with Woody in yew the other week is the one in question.

Decided on Tung Oil have put one on today and it looks great, really popped the colour and figuring.

So how many coats does it need ?

Should I denib it in between coats or just leave it ?

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Never used Tung oil as my preference is Liberon Finishing Oil and depending how the wood soaks up the oil I have sometimes put 6 coats on. On occasions I have only put 3 coats on.
Manufacturers generally say a minimum of 3 coats and yes you should denib between coats!!!!

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Hi Phill With oil it depends on the wood yew is a good wood to oil and normally you will get a wonderful finish with 3 coats two if your lucky but I would do 3 and yes always denib between coats on the last coat if it still needs denibing use 600 grit then put some paste wax or similar on it leave for 30 min then buff and it will be the smoothest finish you have ever seen some woods will need up to 6 coats good luck mate hope this helps

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
I always put on as many coats as it takes until I`m happy with the finish, simples really.

Just remember to dispose of your old oily rags safely, there`s only a very small chance of spontaneous combustion but you don't want to be the one in a million. Theres usually good instructions on the can, sorry if you already knew this, better safe than sorry.

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
I always put on as many coats as it takes until I`m happy with the finish, simples really.

Just remember to dispose of your old oily rags safely, there`s only a very small chance of spontaneous combustion but you don't want to be the one in a million. Theres usually good instructions on the can, sorry if you already knew this, better safe than sorry.

Ta for the reminder ! I had actually forgotten that.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
There used to be an old saying with oil finish it was one coat a day for a week one coat a week for a month and one coat a month for a year

The libron paste wax it what I use Phill but don't put any on till all oiling is finished and it is completely dry

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).