• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

From the further south of the world

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
A Tip that no matter where you live take every opportunity to visit professional and expert craftsman. Yesterday Ilya and I visited interstate a professional woodturner who allows a small group of friendly guys to visit him for between centres turning where he turns from scratch items he makes to wholesale for twelve main retail outlets yesterday he was turning clocks using various burls up to 3 feet across. He has a burl flattening unit that does up to 6 feet by four feet or more. At one stage he had three large clock faces on three main lathes using various techniques to turn the faces , mount the mechanisms, numbers etc. Relaxing being in the country, informative and a golden opportunity. Our next months meeting is a barbq with our wives to be present as well.

So as a small group here in Canberra with a population of 300 to 400000 opportunities abound my Woodcraft Guild has been and remains an inspiration for me since the 80,s during this time we have had innumerable interstate and overseas experts visit, run seminars etc. For every second contribution on this forum answers can be obtained as you move around where you live broadening experiences , making friends. When I came to Canberra the population in 1941 was 10000 been interesting as this is our nations capital city.

KInd regards Peter.:thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
Thanks for that Peter, i would love to be able to see the guy in action .. 6X4ft is some blank ... :goesred:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Yes it would be an experience seeing that guy in action with those big lumps.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I can only dream of burrs that size, do you know how he flattens burrs?

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Thanks for that Peter, i would love to be able to see the guy in action .. 6X4ft is some blank ... :goesred:

Only small out our way Jim. It the machine is a simple Aussie design it is a bed with a traversing Router and yes some burls go up to two tons for table tops etc. The clocks to be turned stop at 3 to 4 feet only made for special orders, can you imagine an out of balance weapon like that on your lathe?

Kind regards Peter.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I can only dream of burrs that size, do you know how he flattens burrs?

Peter

Peter to Peter, His chainsaw cuts are neat and quite close to flat one day I will get a pic of the process maybe next year now but I will get hold of a brochure if I can in the meantime. So the final flattening does not take too long.

Kind regards Peter.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
No, unfortunately you didn't, all you said was that he had a burr flattening unit, but still, thank you for your helpful reply.

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Hi everyone just wanted to stimulate your thinking differently about everything turning everything is relative. You in your small corner and me in mine. Not to impress but inform how much fun there can be around the corner.

A few years ago a guy on the U Beaut forum in Melbourne constructed and used a woodlathe to turn 30 or 40 feet posts laminating huge timbers and turning by hand using a rest to make the finished posts for designed feature front for a University in Sydney he made them in Melbourne and shipped them by road one or two at a time 400 miles to Sydney on special trailers overlength.
All this by a humble yet determined man who accepted a challenge and overcame the problems to succeed. When I read on our forum our simple problems with lathes, beds, tools I smile a lot thinking how very small our problems compared with the big stuff. Some day I will get this story with pics onto our forum here.

Talking with my mate the Burl Getter cutting huge burls at different heights from trees just how innovative these guys are as well and I already told us on this forum my experiences with people I have introduced to him and my discomfort when prior mates try to disembowel this guy and his timber following extremely dangerous tough cut timber assumes so little value to men trying to beat a low price down. I know the prices we get fabulous burl cut into blanks for is cheaper than anyway. Watching listening using IMHO cheap kits selling finished pens for outrageous prices seeking to crucify the timber providers seems weird to me every deal we make should be fair to both parties.

Anyway as a pensioner I try to be carefull and stay within my means.

Kind regards to all.

Peter.:goesred:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I have just done a search for flattening burrs/burls, but came up with nothing, do you know if he uses steam, water, heat or just pressure?

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
After a bit more searching I found this on flattening burls, Burl | Stu's Shed I had visions of a hydraulic press, but this I can understand.

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Fascinating...would like to see that happening in the flesh...thanks for posting Peter

Fascinating it certainly is. I'm with you on seeing it in the flesh. Still searching for more:thumbs:

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I think I have covered your question.

Kind regards Peter.

Buckeye, Mate go to Google have a look at Wood Wizz the same machine my mate in the country has it uses a frame as stated previously a router overhead on a traversing beam then a sander that allows flat beautifully finished surfacing. The turning of the large clock faces allows circular recess cuts to house the chuck jaws cut with a bit first on a large drill press or large hand drill etc. IMHO shaping the clock face either outboard back of the lathe or swivel headstock etc gives a beautiful accent to the burl detail they sell like hot cakes. You can buy clock mechanisms with supertorque and very large hands. Forgive me when I finished last night it was an hour after midnight I was concerned only for sleep at that time.

I have another mate who I regard as a walking talking encyclopedia who lives in Cootamundra NSW who IMHO knows most every Aussie tree from the outside to inside owns a portable Mill and a Wood Wizz as well he enjoys me showing him timbers for him to identify he travels (please look up an atlas map of Australia to the very tip of Australia to go fishing, collects timber from up north in Western Australia (I am talking huge slabs) makes Rustic Furniture, fells timber sells firewood he is my Guru on the mountain top.

Another mate from Tennant Creek who on his recent holiday left his home in Tennant Creek Northern Territory and travelled ten thousand Kilometres on his holiday distances we can hardly dream of. He is Secretary of United Order of Buffaloes in Alice Springs and monthly drives 500 kms each way to meetings. This guy became a mate through swaps etc from the U Beaut Forum in Australia. He is a fellow Penmaker.

Wish I could introduce this forum in the UK to some of my mates around the world who inspire me not to sweat the small stuff I am in awe of their knowledge and friendship.

I will enquire further when I can more about everything I find of extreme interest to share on this forum, now bear in mind just getting up and about some days is quite an exercise in mobility and opportunity, trying to downsize with dignity is never easy like parting with old friends.

Kind regards Peter.:thinks::thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Penpal, it's almost bed time, but I will get onto that tomorrow. From what I have found already, it is a fascinating subject and any info or links would be extremely appreciated, but of course do it in your own time, your health must come first.

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).