• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

No Bushings

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I was talking with an old gent the other day who was also a turner for many a year, we got talking about pen making when he told me he did this many years ago, and here is me thinking it was all new. :goesred:

He said that he used to buy all his material from Craf Supplies in Derbyshire, and told me that all the pens he turned had no bushings, he either made himself a set or he turned between centers. I am pleased that the makers decided over the years to help us learners and make bushings to fit the pen kits that we make. :devil:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Now that is bad, or was bad. I couldnt imagine making a pen without the bushings.

Jim

Grand Master
I have turned a few pens between centers, sierras mainly, i did turn a few others but i had a lad make me some bushings on his lathe to fit the tubes, i hope that isn't cheating. :ciggrin:

Just to add, those pens without the bushings were also from craft supplies, and that was only a couple of years ago. :nooidea:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
One thing I hate about the Euro kits is that the bushing for the upper barrel doesn't match the diameter required. You're supposed to put the centre band on the middle bushing and use that to turn it, but anyone who's seen me attack wood with a skew wouldn't bring a pretty, fragile, ESSENTIAL part of the pen anywhere near me! I have learned to turn down that end of the upper barrel first, using calipers, but my heart is still in my mouth every time I do one of them. Couldn't imagine producing an entire pen that way!

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
The times i have had to throw away a blank because i have under cut where the center band fits. I dont use the provided ring anymore, i remove the barrel and keep trying the center band from the kit until i feel a tight fit. :bwink:

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
i normally turn with callipers when fitting the centre bands.. It normally works ok for me..

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).