• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Brazilian Tulipwood Letter Opener

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
This is a rosewood letter opener I turned for the wife some while back after she ended up with a painful papercut after opening an envelope.

Met Jim and Terry during the weekend and we had a brief conversation about letter openers.

Blade is 13cm long, handle 9.5cm

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Nice job like the shape is the wood tulip wood I thought poplar was that sorry for my ignorance lol.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Frankie,

Woody will curse you for posing that question!! I was in the wood trade for quite a while and had a habit of referring to the species in Latin for exactly the reasons that you mention. Wood is named locally and one species called tulipwood in one country is not the same species in another. The wood that I made the letter opener from is a rosewood Dalbergia Frutescens, more commonly known as Brazilian Tulipwood. The tulipwood that you refer to is a common tree called canarywood, whitewood, American Yellow Poplar, fiddleback tree, Tulip tree. These common names refer to the same tree, Liriodendron Tulipfera, a tree native to the USA, China and Vietnam but now spread widely. It is primarily a whitewood but can have striking streaks of purple, green and brown that occur randomly and change colour in a very short distance.

This isnt a great picture but shows some of the changes that you can get in Yellow Poplar, the picture has made the wood look browner than it really is and it is normally quite white. The picture is of Clapham Leisure Centre which I did the wood design work on and supplied the timber.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
You've made the handle a lovely shape, it's a smashing letter opener.

Peter

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
There is nothing worst than someone getting Neil to blow his own trumpet what he didn't tell you was he ordered more wood than was needed and the rest he made pens with LOL Neil no one can fault your knowledge on wood mate and in the short space of time you have been on this forum you have answered quite a few questions for people so well done now put that bloody trumpet away
And by the way nice letter opener Neil

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
It's a good job you know each other or it would be Handbags at dawn init?
I can't see the pic at work Neil so will look later if I haven't already seen it.

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi, Neil,

That's a very stylish letter opener - looks really different than the standard ones you see about. Nice work!

Also, thanks for the interesting info re tulipwood. And well done with the swimming pool decor. How has it stood up to the damp atmosphere?

Bob.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Hi, Neil,

That's a very stylish letter opener - looks really different than the standard ones you see about. Nice work!

Also, thanks for the interesting info re tulipwood. And well done with the swimming pool decor. How has it stood up to the damp atmosphere?

Bob.

Thanks Bob,

I did around fifteen pools in this style, and they have all performed very well, damp no problem. The major benefit is the acoustic performance of the timber slats allowing sound to pass between the slats and then being absorbed by acoustic absorpent material, makes a huge difference.

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Nice letter opener Neil ...didn't realise you were into construction work as well.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Neil,

Trust is a wonderful thing over here we get the English Program Midsomer Murders and yes I would hide that opener when my six kids were young remembering the occasions when they were their most active.

Jesting mate I have seen a real lot of openers my Pro Turning mate has made thousands of them none better than yours. Liked your dissertations on timber, the way you solved your domestic harmony and thoughtfulness.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
Opener looks very well made Neil ... These are obviously not from Australia ... :winking:

lignaterrae

Another soul on my wavelength! Latin is a beautiful language and nothing to be feared. Once you've got to grips with the basics those Latin (scientific) names actually mean something and working out your first little 'translation' is very satisfying. In fact, a special prize to the first person to translate my username, Ligna terrae!
Frankie,

Woody will curse you for posing that question!! I was in the wood trade for quite a while and had a habit of referring to the species in Latin for exactly the reasons that you mention. Wood is named locally and one species called tulipwood in one country is not the same species in another. The wood that I made the letter opener from is a rosewood Dalbergia Frutescens, more commonly known as Brazilian Tulipwood. The tulipwood that you refer to is a common tree called canarywood, whitewood, American Yellow Poplar, fiddleback tree, Tulip tree. These common names refer to the same tree, Liriodendron Tulipfera, a tree native to the USA, China and Vietnam but now spread widely. It is primarily a whitewood but can have striking streaks of purple, green and brown that occur randomly and change colour in a very short distance.

This isnt a great picture but shows some of the changes that you can get in Yellow Poplar, the picture has made the wood look browner than it really is and it is normally quite white. The picture is of Clapham Leisure Centre which I did the wood design work on and supplied the timber.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).