• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

potpourri

alisboy

Hi everybody

This is my 1st post of a turned item.

The wood is unknown to me as it was a part of a job lot (60 + pieces round and square) from a closing business.

Her indoors wanted something for some smelly stuff so.....

approx 4" x 4"

Ernie
Hope pictures work?

Attachments

• PB120010.JPG
    PB120010.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 60
  • PB120011.JPG
    PB120011.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 56
  • PB120012.JPG
    PB120012.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 56

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Welcome to the forum and happy posting.. Really nice, it looks like a piece of teak to me.. But then again I have been wrong before ..:goesred:

I like the effect and nicely turned and formed.. And if SWIMBO likes it then its for to np e right..:thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
That is a really nice piece Ernie, well turned .. :thumbs: At a guess i would say Mahogany ... :thinks:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Welcome to the forums. Looks like Teak to me too but I am the clown when it comes to wood ID.
Very nice bowl there do you give lessons?

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
You have done exceptionally well with that bit of I would say Mahogany well turned and finished inside and out and a well balanced piece

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Nice job. The first picture made me think teak but the others Mahogony.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Me thinks that might be Iroko, but I am not sure, pretty sure it isnt Mahogany and I'd put very large wedges on it not being teak. There are some tell tale flecks a bit like that which you get on Laburnum on the top curve of the bowl, but it is very difficult to tell.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).