• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Do you use other glues or just CA

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I use CA on everything that i make from wood, i know there are other glues available but i have no knowledge of how good they are. But just lately i am having sinus trouble each time i use the CA. :rolling:

Do you use some other glue that you could share with me on how good it is and is it as good as CA. :thinks:

Thanks. :thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
I only use CA myself Tony, never had the need to try anything else as the CA does everything i need. :thumbs:

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
i use the 3 grades of CA , i have gorilla glue....... but dont have the time to wait fr it :thumbs:

I have not had any symptoms of using CA..... except stuck fingers !!

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
I don't like using CA for obvious reasons. I started out using epoxy but have now graduated to polyureyhane glue. Expands as it cures so great for gap filling.

Jim

Grand Master
Do you get any symptoms mate using CA ?

No Tony, if i am using CA to do a finish on a pen then i do wear a face mask, only one of those cheap ones. Normally i don't wear anything when gluing up. :bwink:

except stuck fingers !!

I get plenty of this Matty, i usually wear those latex gloves, but i seem to run out of them when i am doing plenty of gluing ... :whistling:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
I've only ever used CA, although sometimes the fumes do get to me. I'm with Matty in that I have plenty of other glues, I just don't use them on pens because they take too long to dry. I want it all and I want it NOW! :devil:

Gorilla (or polyurethane glue as a generic) does a fantastic job, so does plain ol' white glue. You just have to wait ... For ... It ... To ... Dry ... {YAWN}. :bored1:

The Wood Bucket

I use 2 part epoxy to glue all my tubes in. (Unless I need it real quick). I normally glue up lots at a time. Then I mill them all. I use the CA for finish.

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Do you finish all of your pens with CA TWB, this is what does my sinus's the smell as the CA heats up. :rolling:

The Wood Bucket

Most of my wood pens have a CA finish. I don't use a lot of the activator. I give it plenty of time to dry between coats and sanding. I also have an exhaust fan directly above my lathe. Try using the CA without the activator that is what is probably irritating you.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).