• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Carbide tipped tool

Maurice

I thought I might make a comment on a round carbide tipped tool I bought off Ebay. I was dubious because of the £24 price
but after making 6 pens with it and not using anything else except sanding sheets, I must say that I am very impressed. I have turned Cocobola, tulipwood, padauk and acrylic blanks all without a problem. I know many of you have made your own but I wouldn't know how to start so this is why I bought this as a trial having considered the Sorby Turnmaster at £99. It is well made and does what he says on the tin.
The chap is now selling shorter versions on Ebay. I don't know how to post a link but his name is 733gtfly
I hope this is useful to anybody looking to go down the carbide tool route.

Jim

Grand Master
Maurice (Anyone) to add a link click on the Icon i have circled in the Editor and paste in the link that you copy from the browser ....

crop.jpg

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
The one I just looked at doesn't seem to have the square shaft epoxied into the handle, but overall for the price, it doesn't seem bad at all.

Peter

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Speaking as a newbie, it looks to be a good buy Grump will tell us if it is or isn't .

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Well done a very good investment I have made quite a few of them for people when I had my metal workshop and they do work extremely well on plastic, gemstone and wood enjoy your new tool I will be making myself another set in the new year all you need is an angle grinder, drill and a tap n die set and the obvious a lathe to make the handle see the photo attached all the evidence you need see it in action on a piece of cast polyester and judge for yourself
12.JPG

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
I have made quite a few of them for people when I had my metal workshop and they do work extremely well on plastic, gemstone and wood enjoy your new tool I will be making myself another set in the new year all you need is an angle grinder, drill and a tap n die set and the obvious a lathe to make the handle
View attachment 2858

Or a milling machine :devil:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I have to admire the man's courage or stupidity for his attempt at making money cos he sure isn't making a quality tool.
Why segment a tool handle and weaken the very thing that wants some strength in it, he hasn't even parted it off and what a strange shape, how is that ergonomically worked out?
For 25 quid I would want at least a bright steel shaft, this thing would be rusty in my damp shed over 1 winter.
Nothing wrong with using a bit of copper pipe as a ferule I have done myself on my own tools but if I was selling em I would at least put a nice brass one on.
Good luck to the man he is making money but he won't be getting any of mine init?

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Overall I kind of agree with Brian on this one.

Why segment a tool handle and weaken the very thing that wants some strength in it, he hasn't even parted it off and what a strange shape, how is that ergonomically worked out?

Sort of copied from the Easy wood tools he is ripping off;

EWT-SizeChart_400.jpg

As Neil's signature says:

There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. (John Ruskin 1819-1900)

I went down Woody's route and made my own.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
I agree with Walter and Brian.. But I can see that if Maurice had not got the confidence or know how to make the tools that we have done then that is what Maurice wants to do then good luck..

Having said that, there is a big difference in quality, be aware the old saying goes.. You only gets what you pay for.....

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I agree with Walter and Brian.. But I can see that if Maurice had not got the confidence or know how to make the tools that we have done then that is what Maurice wants to do then good luck..

Having said that, there is a big difference in quality, be aware the old saying goes.. You only gets what you pay for.....
I have to agree with that too and it will probably be fine for pens so not a waste of money Maurice.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
If need be he can always make another handle the tooling will still be good all tools and handles get copied eventually after all the concept is nothing new and we have all copied a tool at some time or other well I know I have :thumbs::thumbs:

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
If need be he can always make another handle the tooling will still be good all tools and handles get copied eventually after all the concept is nothing new and we have all copied a tool at some time or other well I know I have :thumbs::thumbs:

I agree that everything gets copied in time Woody, and as long as no-one is breaking any copyright or patent laws that's fine. What I am not so sure about is copying the style of a very distinctive tool handle so that potential purchasers might be led to believe that it is the real thing or of equivalent quality when clearly it is not.

I do think the Easy-Wood tools are way overpriced for what they are, as are the Robert Sorby Turnmaster tools which is why, like you and Brian , I decided to make my own. The price of the branded tools is not however an excuse, in my opinion, for selling badly made tat.

Just my opinion.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Walter I don't think any of us qualify to call the tool tat without first testing it from what I can see apart from the handle being laminated which could still be OK for all we know, it looks to be a very well engineered tool but both of us can only say it looks to tat or ok Maurice has use the tool and is well satisfied with its performance.
As for copyright on the design of the handle you could well have a valid point but perhaps that is the reason he has laminated his so that it is different
But after all the going back and forth we both know we will never change each others minds I think we know each other better than that so I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one Walter God bless you my friend long may we continue with our differences of opinion who knows we could both be wrong but dose it really matter happy turning

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).