• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

I wanted a pen press.

Maurice

I was asked what I wanted for Xmas by the family and was considering a pen press considering that my wooden vice on the workbench looks as thought is as been attacked by wood worm. I started to browse through the Machine Mart catalogue (as you do) when I came across an item called FIbre Grips which you attach to your vice for holding & protecting things like soft metals, plastics and wood. When I saw that they cost £9.59 as against £49 for a pen press I thought I would give them a try.
I have now used them on Sierra's and slimlines and they work a treat. No marks on the pen and I need to look for something else for Xmas.
The order code at Machine Mart is 040330000 for grips to fit a 3" vice.
I hope I am not teaching my grandmother to suck eggs but I learn something every day.

I hope this is the Machine Mart link Record Fibre Grips for 3" Vice - Machine Mart

Last edited:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
I wouldn't pay £49 for a pen press .to me those grips look fine . I was using my lathe as a press until Frankie found some really cheap presses on flea bay, which a few of us bought .

Jim

Grand Master
Good call Maurice, and much cheaper .. Now you can go for a Jumper for Christmas ... :thumbs:

And the link works too ... :bwink:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
I tend to use 2 off cuts of 18mm MDF in the vice to prevent marking the pens, always plenty of that in the workshop.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Search Georges post for his mastic gun conversion I'ts cheap and it works so well Eamon will vouch for that it was his post he got the idea from on another forum.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).