• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Pen blanks

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Do you buy wooden blanks or just use wood that you find or have been given etc? What do you think about the price of these exotic blanks available at the local stores or internet. Do you have a limit to what you pay for blanks or just buy in small amounts knowing that you will be using them shortly. There are many questions i have about blanks but will stick with these few for now. :thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
As you know Tony i have quite a number of wooden blanks as i did go a little mad a few years back buying up all the blanks that i saw ... :whistling: I also have way to many acrylic blanks which i may add here for sale shortly.

Exotic blanks can be expensive but now i only buy these blanks now if i have special pens to make.:whistling: I do also have a few logs given from a good mate of mine. :bwink:

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
i keep 20-30 wooden blanks on stock, but not many high value ones..
I buy the majority of my blanks on ebay, i tend to buy packs of 5-10 of any one type.. or value bulk packs from people giving up etc.
I always start with a budget when buying 'lovelies' and stick to it, based on the resale value..
so i enter my maximum bid, and then walk away until auction end.
I have nearly caught my self bidding silly money once, on some must have blanks...... but luckily i was snipped at the last minute.
I keep a couple of resins on stock... I buy to order..
I buy to order those resifilss based soley on a sold end product..

Antler/home made timber blanks etc... stock levels vary.

added...

I like to stick to £1.50 max for a standard pen blank.. less if I can help it.
Specials (burrs etc) i will go to £2-3 max
I have spent a £10 on a resifill before... but only when it has a home.

Last edited:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Tony, I do both. I have bought in a stock of exotics at around a quid each from fleaBay. Try looking for a seller named Michael18000, he only does auctions but if you drop him an email he might agree a price with you. His blanks are all 16mm unless stated, so good for anything up to a 10 mm tube but a bit risky from there.

I also have a stock of oak, burr elm, walnut, beech, sycamore and cherry so I make plenty of my own blanks. Really just depends how bored I am with what I've got!

David

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I boy mine from ebay, but only when i have to, i mainly turn boxes and pick up loads of wood from my neighbours. :thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Never been afraid to pay for top pen blanks I know full well the losses involved when cutting Burl Blanks so if you can choose them great stuff. Found blanks can be very exciting, given blanks I usually recompense the kind giver with a pen. Have two thousand now result of hoarding culling taking place as I speak in my mind. Frightened in the event my wife has to dispose of my stuff she will sell them for what I told her I paid for them.

Kind regards Peter.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Pen Blanks a few cut dried in my roof space I have a large number of pics I cant access that have too many pixels.

Kind regards Peter.

Attachments

• Colour of Money 601x480.JPG
    Colour of Money 601x480.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF0001-130.JPG
    DSCF0001-130.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF0001-138.JPG
    DSCF0001-138.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF0003 [640x480]-011.JPG
    DSCF0003 [640x480]-011.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF0007-099.JPG
    DSCF0007-099.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 21

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Mark, these were offcuts I gave them to a guy in Melbourne who carves earrings and tiny objects. I have (embarassed) about three thousand different species cut blanks cut and collected, bought over many years. Conkerberry is a tough as small shrub grown outback areas of northern Australia. Many names have faded or forgotten confess Conkerberry is a firm favourite.

Kind regards Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).