• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

A failed experiment with food dye init?

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I have been doing this over a few days now since someone asked a question of how would food dye penetrate wood.
I thought there may be a chance of the dye leaching through end grain.
I chose a very dry and open grained blank to play with and drilled a line of holes at 1/2 intervals along the length of the blank.
Filled the holes with red food dye and fed the holes every evening over 3 days, left overnight and a fourth day plugged the holes with copper wire and ca glue.
I was expecting as I turned it down to see a red line running through the blank and hopefully spread wide around it too.
What disappointment I had, the copper wire ripped out as soon as the chisel touched them and the dismal effect was a total failure.
I would only use food dye for surface colouring after turning and before finishing, is my conclusion of this experiment unless maybe pressured into the wood.
Not that I want to dye wood anyway but I do enjoy playing init?

P1070807 (Custom).JPG

P1070808 (Custom).JPG

P1070809 (Custom).JPG

P1070812 (Custom).JPG

P1070823 (2) (Custom).JPG

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
An interesting experiment, Brian. I'm a little sad that it didn't work - it deserved to ...

... Oh - and lovely sketch penCIL there! Plastic, I see ...

:devil::devil:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Plastic Dear boy, NONONONO it's Spalted beech young man made a long time ago that one dear chap.
Not a wasted day though I played with the A axis and got the curve right init?

P1070814 (Custom).JPG

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I wouldn't look at it as a failure, you proved it didn't work the way you thought it might, now you have to devise another experiment that might further the plan:thumbs:

Peter

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Bloody stupid idea anyway drill em out put em in a bloody pressure pot come on Brian I credited you with more savy than that :down::down:
He he he luv yu

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Not everybody has or wants a pessure or vacuum pot dad so I just thought I would try,
we know a certain anmount leaches in through end grain as we have proved before now so worth a try I thought.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Brian, I used the Jam makers technique of creating a vacuum. I had a load of punky spalted silver birch and after heating them in the microwave I put them into a jamjar of very warm cellulose sanding sealer, stood that in a pan of just boiled water and when it was as hot as it was going to get, I put the lid on and as it cools it creates a vacuum (not much of one admittedly) and sucks in the sanding sealer. It stiffened up the blanks nicely. I wouldn't want to heat the sanding sealer anymore than I did, though:nonono:

Peter

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Ah well at least you tried, It would have been good if it'd come off. Are you going to try another way?

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Probably not but the above post by Peter has me thinking again.
I wouldn't chance putting a spirit based dye near a flame but I would think the principle could be applied to diluted food colouring which could be boiled easily.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
It would work much better if you could boil it. I wouldn't want a flame near spirit dye or sanding sealer either. It might be worth putting the blank in the pan when you boil it, then as soon as you put them in the jar, put the lid on for the best vacuum.

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).