• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Pen mandrel and bushes

alisboy

Hello all

Another question for you. I have an Axi pen mandrel and slimline bushes for it, what i need to know is if i buy slimlines from elsewhere will i need bushes to go with it or will the ones i have do. Also i saw on one of the forums somewhere? (not here) that different mandrels are needed for different kits and bushes? Can you help to clear this up for me.

Thanks
Ernie

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Slimlines from other sources should be ok with the bushes you have Ernie. Regarding the different mandrels I have heard some turners have had problems which is probably down to the tolerances of the mandrel shaft!!!!

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
Ernie,

The only kit I have had a problem with is the Roman Harvest, one of the bigger kits.
The holes in the bushes I have for it are about 8 or 9 mm rather than the normal 7mm that the mandrel we all have fits.
99% of the pen kits will be OK for the mandrel you have I guess & most sellers should tell you the pen kits fit a 7mm mandrel.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Ernie, in the US they have a beast called a 'B' mandrel (the one we have is an 'A' mandrel). The B is approx 8mm in dia (although not exactly because it's imperial). If your bushes require a B mandrel you will have the problem Steven has. Apparently the idea is that a thicker mandrel shaft will be less prone to bowing ...

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
When I first started making pens there was two size mandrel 7mm & 8mm and the 8mm mandrel was a lot better and the 7mm mandrel you could only turn one tube at a time

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
There are a few B type Mandrels about Ernie but they are not that common now.

Your mandrel should be ok for at least 99 %of all pen kits even if you buy the bushes from a different supplier.:thumbs:

alisboy

Hello

Again thanks for the information, i will post some pics tomorrow or Wednesday after i have used some of the Slimline kits i got early on and have never used till now.

Thanks again
Ernie

Jim

Grand Master
Like others have said Ernie, the bushings should fit no problem .. When turning slimlines i tend to leave the nib end slightly proud of the bushing, much better it be slightly oversized than undercut .. :wink:

Look forward to seeing your pictures ...

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).