• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Demonstrator - Low miles, Good Condition ...

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
So I got about as far with the demonstrator pen as I have the stomach for. Pics are not up to much, but hopefully you will see what's what:

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG

What went right? I got the acrylic polishing sorted, and made the framework for a bulb filler without TOO much difficulty. What didn't? Acrylic is &^%$* difficult to work with, particularly when threading. The threads are not as tight as they should be, particularly where the blind cap screws into the back of the body. Also, there are places where the acrylic overheated while drilling, most noticeably around the front of the section.

The worst part, though, is that the shape of the pen does nothing for me, and I can't find the motivation to try again even if I had enough acrylic, which I probably don't. Acrylic simply doesn't ring my bell like wood, so I went back to wood for the next attempt. Pics in the next comment.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
So having run out of motivation for clear acrylic I reached for some of the brown mallee burr I git at John Davis the other week. Hard but brittle, so I'm trying NOT lining the holes with brass tubing. The body has acrylic 'windows' (8mm acrylic rod inserted crossways into the blank before drilling), and two threaded 'collars' front and back. Some pics of the body under construction:

photo 1a.JPG

photo 2a.JPG

One of the key tricks with this type of project is ensuring that all of the collars line up to create a straight pen barrel. Here's my 'jig' for the glue-up:

photo 1b.JPG

photo 2b.JPG

More to follow as work progresses ...

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
That's brilliant for a first effort David ...I would be really proud if it were mine .:thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
You gave it a shot and worked with materials you don't normally use, it looks a credible demonstrator. Maybe if you keep it close to you, you will think about having another go and use the experience you gathered with this one to make a better one to your way of thinking.

I hope my first go will be as good.

Peter

Jim

Grand Master
The longer you work on a prototype can cause serious brain issues ... Safer sticking with wood David ... :ciggrin: Even thou i do like the Demonstrator ... :thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I like the idea of the wooden one and the windows. I have a closed end one in Mallee on the go, although stalled at the moment, I will have to try the windows if I make a second one.

Peter

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I don't like acrylic but I do like innovation. Excellent stuff David.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
That`s an excellent effort with the demonstrator David, very well done :thumbs:

Enjoying the WIP keep posting the pictures :bravo:

Do like the new title, only just noticed it :funny::funny:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
For what it's worth young David I think it's amazing mate bloody good effort with some hard materials to work with.
A huge learning curve being overcome you the man init?
If you quit now nobody could blame you, only the strong survive.:sob::sob::sob:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Well done David when enough is enough then enough is enough now enjoy turning your wood

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
David my hat if I had one would be off to you
you were set a challenge and faced it head on overcoming difficult obstacles with great results very well done buddy.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Do like the new title, only just noticed it :funny::funny:

As they say in the local vernacular "I is what I is ..." Thanks for giving me such a posh-sounding term for it! :banana:

If you quit now nobody could blame you, only the strong survive.:sob::sob::sob:

Reverse psychology, eh Brian? I like it ... I will put it somewhere visible while I work on the other one, and return to it when the mood strikes. Got to turn another section, and barrel to fix the bubbling and threading issues, and I've got just about enough acrylic left if I don't bollix it up. So not quitting so much as taking a breather ....

:mooney2::mooney2::mooney2:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
David,

If at first your not happy do as I do bin it and as you have done go on to the next one I share your frustration with clear.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).