• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Small natural edge Sycamore bowl

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
This is the bit I had left over from the vase I made the other day 6 1/2" x 2 1/2" so far one coat of Rustins teak oil DSCF1859 (2).JPGDSCF1861 (2).JPG

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Thank you kind sirs as I was removing the inside I had shavings flying over my shoulder and some went down the back of my shirt collar I love turning Sycamore

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Lovely, just lovely !

How come your sycamore is pale and mine has darker bits? Am I possibly burning it when sanding ?

Or is it just that's the way wood goes?

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Hi Phill Sycamore is normally a very pale wood but sometimes like all woods you do get some that isn't it can even have green patches or even look dirty that's why it is always better to pick your own also something Steven hit on mine is still a bit wet

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Love it Woody, you can`t get better than a natural edge & that`s a fine example mate.
:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Is it big enough to hold your plums :whistling::whistling:

:funny::funny::funny::funny:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Is that ready for the Christmas play "Can I have some more please Sir"
As always from the Master very nice dad.

Jim

Grand Master
Very nice indeed Woody, you can certainly make your Sycamore pieces look exotic ... :thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Woody, Good transition from Sycamore is that the tree that sheds fluffy stuff like cotton wool everywhere? Whatever it sure comes up looking great with that natural edge.

Kind regards Peter.:goesred:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Woody, Good transition from Sycamore is that the tree that sheds fluffy stuff like cotton wool everywhere? Whatever it sure comes up looking great with that natural edge.

Kind regards Peter.:goesred:
Hi Peter no that's not the tree I think it is related to the maple family and it produces what we used to call as kids helicopters that is the seeds when they fall from the tree they fly like a helicopter the wood is normally very pale and turned wet it is a dream shavings just fly of in long streams it is one of the most delightful wood ever to turn but a lot of turners discard it because they say it is to plane
220px-Acer_pseudoplatanus_MHNT.BOT.2004.0.461.jpg220px-Acer-pseudoplatanus.JPG

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).