• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

My first acrylic pen - sierra

ilya

Turned my first pen in plastic - only after I completed it I recalled reading somewhere about painting the tubes before glueing them in :whistling:
The brass is visible on this one a little, but not too bad, it matches the overall colour. What do people use to paint the tubes? Do you drill the hole for the tube a bit larger then, so that the paint doesn't peel when the tube is inserted?

Thanks,
ilya

Attachments

• 1st_Acrylic.jpg
    1st_Acrylic.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 52

Jim

Grand Master
ilya, that is a cracking pen and a superb blank .. :thumbs:

I can't help you with the coating of the tubes as i have not yet had the need to do any, but i am sure someone will be able to comment on it ... :thinks:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
I've had problems with all of my TB Sierra tubes that I have painted . They become so tight and trying to force them into the blanks just scrapes away all of the paint I'am using Halfords white primer like Terry . Not sure how to handle the situation :thinks:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I've had problems with all of my TB Sierra tubes that I have painted . They become so tight and trying to force them into the blanks just scrapes away all of the paint I'am using Halfords white primer like Terry . Not sure how to handle the situation :thinks:

Drill the hole slightly larger?

Peter

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry

You could try putting your tubes in a fridge after painting Ed. They will contract in size and then should be OK !!!!

ilya

Thank you gentlemen for your comments! It looks like we have two good alternatives for tight tubes - one is to drill 0.1mm bigger hole. Freezing the tube is a good idea - I may try it next time, it will not require buying extra drill bits for every type of pen that is out there :thumbs:.

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith

I've been having trouble as well lately with TB sierras. Drilling with 10.5 bit but some are tight and I've now got to check them before applying the glue and re-drill nearly half of them.

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Drill the hole slightly larger?

Peter

Sounds like a sensible solution Peter. The Sierra destructions recommend using a 27/64 or 10.5mm bit, the Imp size being slightly larger. I have been using the 10.5mm I'll try and get hold of the Imp size.

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
Ilya,
Wow, thats a beautiful Pen with a lovely finish. :love_it:
I have painted some of my tubes the same as Terry and I also tried Black Spray as well, seems to make the blank a deeper colour. :winking:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
A lovely pen, Ilya! The brass showing through will only complement that blank, making the colour deeper. I've never had success painting tubes, bit to be honest I cured that by only using wood to make pens! Fortunately some of the others gave you more constructive advice ...

:devil::devil:

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
Tis a nice pen that one,

Like you I have only just started doing plastic pens, painting some tubes & not others with the same results as yourself. Paint peeling off when glued in. I used a couple of different types of paint & preferred the tin of black spray paint I got from the pound shop. I think the CA softens the paint which causes it to come off. I have started putting the sprayed tubes in front of a halogen heater to harden the paint up quicker & this seems to be working. The outer layer of the paint may be hard to the touch but this type of paint (cars etc) usually takes time to harden all the way through.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).