• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

What to do with this cherry

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Today I accosted a passing tree surgeon and blagged this bit of cherry off him. Do I have to seal the ends and leave it as it is for a couple of years or can I cut it up into pen blanks now ?:nooidea:

Sorry about the pic ..it's that 800 x 600 thang !

Attachments

• P1050271-1.JPG
    P1050271-1.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 37

sbwertz

First Name
Sharon
Cut some into bowl blanks and rough turn it now. Cut the pen blanks, dip the ends in wax, stack them loosely and let them dry a few months.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Personalty Ed I would cut it up into 1" that will allow for the wood to shrink pen blanks seal the ends with PVA or wax lay the blanks out with a gap in-between put sticks across them and do another row on top and keep doing that then they will have room for air to circulate then store them indoors somewhere and they will be ready about Christmas time if you leave them in logs with sealed ends you will have a lot of waste good luck mate

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
It doesn't look like it is very thick, I would cut something that diameter into pen blanks and and seal the ends. You could cut some of the bigger stuff into 4-5" logs and cut them in half lengthways to make some natural edged bowls, seal the ends though.

Peter

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Cherry is a bugger for splitting Ed, I`d also go with cutting it up & sealing the ends also try & eliminate the pith (center ring) from any of your blanks.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
That's terrible Steven.. :shocking::funny:

But my answer to the question would be... Send it to me and I will take care of it for you.....:ave_it:

No honestly, I would cut it half of up as woody states and the other half I would cut it up in to sensible sized pieces, wax the ends and store it in the shed till next year. Then you might decide to turn something else with the bigger bits..:banana:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Every word so far recommends as I do DO IT NOW allow for minor splitting. Good sense to collect it. Makes dry well presented blanks very attractive to me you are in for a time warp there mate.:goesred
Kind regards Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).