• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Hello from a complete beginner

DJH146

Apprentice Member
Hi everyone,

My name is Denis and I live in the Orkney Isles, off the north coast of Scotland.

As the title of the thread suggests I am a total beginner having turned the grand total of zero pens. Being a keen golfer I was looking for something to do in the winter nights as it's too dark in the evenings now. My Uncle does a lot of pen turning and my Dad has just started so I thought I would give it a go too.

Had my first ever go using a lathe tonight and predictably it was a disaster, started out ok but got a bit carried away trying to shape it and ruined it. Enjoyed doing it though and my Dad is a patient teacher so hopefully it's onwards and upwards.

I've had a look at some of the pictures of other peoples pens on here and I'm stunned by the level of craftsmanship on display, they are works of art. Hopefully I'll manage to get something made I can post a picture of here too.

Thanks for reading and hopefully I'll not ask too many daft questions.

Cheers

Denis

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Welcome to the forum Denis. Everyone has to start somewhere and you will soon pick it up and be making cracking pens in no time with limitless help from the people on this site.

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Welcome aboard Denis. Ask any questions you like you'll find lots of help on here. Look forward to your first photos.

keith

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Welcome Denis the only daft question is the one you dont ask look forward to seeing some of your pens when you are up and running

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Hi Denis ..welcome There are lots of helpful folks on here to help sort you out ... you will have to shout out though as most here are old fogies and don't hear to good LOL

Jim

Grand Master
Welcome to the forums Denis ... :thumbs: If you stick at it we can assure you that some newbie will come on here in the coming months and comment on how nice your pens look ... :wink:

DJH146

Apprentice Member
Thanks for the replies guys. Going to have another bash at it tomorrow. Think I was lulled into a false sense of security by how easy my old man made it look, even though he'd never done it before either he's pretty handy when it comes to working with wood. I ended up messing about with a scrap bit of wood just to get used to turning it and using the tools. I can certainly seeing it getting addictive once I get the hang of it.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Welcome young Denis Ask all the daft questions you want make.
But watch out fro the daft answers from the daft ol buggers ear init?

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Welcome Dennis, we all started off at the beginning.. This is your start, don't be put off by the pens already posted and think that yours is not worthy when it is..:thumbs:

We look forward to seeing your pictures ..

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi, Denis, Welcome aboard our good ship! Firstly, don't worry about making mistakes - it's all part of the learning curve to perfection. DON'T buy expensive kits initially - Slimlines and Euros are ideal starting-level kits. If you can make these pens consistently well move up to the more demanding pen styles. This also applies to your woods - practice on cheap-to-buy pen blanks because if you screw up then you're only a few pence out-of-pocket. Warning - DO NOT get involved in turning acrylics until you have mastered turning wood - it will lead to heartbreak (and wallet-break!) due to the comparatively high cost of them.

Hope this helps.

Bob.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Welcome, turn as often as you can, if you can do it daily, you will be creating great stuff in weeks.

Peter

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
Welcome on board Dennis.
Pull up a chair, participate and enjoy the banter....:wink:
And of course post up some of your work when completed....:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

fionaspens

Welcome Dennis.

I'm sure your Dad will have you turrning masterpieces in no time. Don't worry about making mistakes - we all make them too. Enjoy the forum you'll learn a lot from these guys. Kind regards Fiona

Paul

Fellow
Welcome Denis, I'm a total newbie too, the guys are great and post that first pen no matter what you think. Then on your next ones ask the chaps for observations the knowledge you gain from their wisdom saves months of trial and error.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).