• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Ying and Yang

jttheclockman

OK I will start posting some of my recent pens. I am a bigger lover of segmentation work so I started incorporating some segmentation in my pen blanks. This is a blank I call my Ying and Yang blank. It is on a Panache chrome kit. It is made from black and white acrylic with some aluminum dots and aluminum strips. Love adding aluminum as accents. Thanks for looking and all comments and or questions are always welcomed.

My apolagies to those that have seen these 100 times before. I was asked to post so that is what I will try to do and share with some of the newer friends I met here. Hope no one minds too much. Thanks.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Well a bit of ying n yang as I understand it love the pen blank dont like the pen kit your workmanship on that blank is top notch outstanding even one of the best I have seen but sorry The kit is one I just dont like

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
I've never been a lover of the Panache ..but lordy John, yours has just converted me !!! Luv it ...I want it.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Stunning work and brilliant photography on a truly awful kit.
Thanks for showing it.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Fantastic...:thumbs::thumbs:

I'm new to pen turning sites so speaking for myself please post as many images as you like, I love to see peoples pens especially when they are of this quality.

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Holy sh*t Batman.

That's amazing I can only dream of what it would've looked like on a better kit.

Sorry don't like Panache, but the blank and workmanship are outstanding!

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
I'm not a lover of the Panache either but your skill is apparent in what you have done with it. Well done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob.

Jim

Grand Master
I don't know what it is about this kit that makes people not liking it? Me, i am easy with it but i doubt that i would go out of my way to have such a kit in my inventory ... But the skill that has gone into making this pen is tremendous. The pen looks tremendous John and thanks for sharing .. We are a new forum John and have many members new to pen making who would love to see more of your work, not forgetting most of us old un's too .. :thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
The panache is a much maligned kit. There is plenty of meat for inlays, inserts and it is great for embedding stuff in PR. Look at the bottom it can hold a rare earth magnet that can be incorporated into desk sets or other quirky items, I love the Panache, it has to be the most beautiful ugly kit.

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Shows a great deal of Panache mate, gives me ideas as well.

Love your technical expertise and this kit enables.

Kind regards Peter.:goesred:

jttheclockman

Wow alot of Panache kit haters here. It is a desk pen and not one that gets carried in the pocket. It does not have a clip. I ordered a few of these so I had to think of some way to use them and as someone said it does leave alot of meat to do various things with. Some kits are big but the tubes are so big also and there is very little room to inlay or cast things on. To me it is not that bad of a kit. I have seen worse.

Thanks all for the kind words about the blank. I have many more ideas and will be showing more. I have about 8 different blanks on the workbench in various stages of completion. After my last show I will try to get into the shop and get some of them completed. I enjoy making my own blanks. Gives me more satisfaction. Thanks all for looking.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
John, I've seen all the stuff you posted on IAP but it's no hardship to enjoy it all over again - quite the opposite in fact. I find when using thick ally for segmentation that it increases the possibility of a blank blowup by about 400%. Do you have any tips for getting it turned? Particularly because you have two 'rings' and a number of pins all in very close proximity on that blank - I'd be picking bits off the floor if I tried it with my current approach.

I don't like plastic and am not fond of the Panache, BUT ... that beauty can take pride of place on my desk anytime!!!

jttheclockman

John, I've seen all the stuff you posted on IAP but it's no hardship to enjoy it all over again - quite the opposite in fact. I find when using thick ally for segmentation that it increases the possibility of a blank blowup by about 400%. Do you have any tips for getting it turned? Particularly because you have two 'rings' and a number of pins all in very close proximity on that blank - I'd be picking bits off the floor if I tried it with my current approach.

I don't like plastic and am not fond of the Panache, BUT ... that beauty can take pride of place on my desk anytime!!!

Hello David

Thanks for the kind words. As you eluded to I have shown these before on IAP and various other sites. I am not posting any more on IAP only to my album there. But to answer your question I had no problems with any blowout to date with any pen blank I have made with one exception, a scalloped ebony and holly blank I made. On that blank I used CA to glue my segments. I have found by using epoxy I eliminate that part. I also turn most of the blank down with a carbide cutter ( because of the metals) and finish it with an ordinary skew. I then use MM to polish it up like any ordinary pen. Hope this answers your question. Thanks for looking.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).