• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

OK I give in I'll get a Mandrel Saver.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Woke up this morning feeling like I had been used as a slave building the mighty Pyramids. There was not a single part of me that didn't hurt when moved or throbbed when it didn't move.
Took me till 10 o'clock to get that mattress off my back, bloody hell that was firmly stuck to me.

So I missed work today and forced myself into the shed, only to sit there and look around not being able to find the energy or enthusiasm to do anything.

My Drain brought a cuppa down for me and found a small bag of ply belts my Grandson had made before he emigrated to New Zealand.
So to do young Sam a bit of justice I thought I would make a pen, nearest blank was one that Sir Woody had given me on TR day, a cross cut bamboo, that would look good on a gold slimline methinks.

It would if I could find my knurled nut in this lot, never mind I have another, oops dropped that one too never mind I have a third. How the bloody hell can I be so stupid as to drop three and not find one init?

P1070825 - Copy (Custom).JPG

Now I have a problem init? What to do init? Now is when I wish I had bought a mandrel saver, I should have listened to Walter when he was saying about this very thing.
Improvise is what I do best so this is the new use I found for the steb centre that I drag from the drawer the other day.
Add a bush and bring the steb up to push the bush on jobs a goodun init?

P1070831 - Copy (Custom).JPG

Finished jobby, Xcut Bamboo with a ply belt finished with ca and rubbed down with toothpaste. So many patterns in this stuff dunno which bit to photograph.
Got any more dad? A bit bigger for a classier pen please. Next thing on my Christmas list is a mandrel saver init?

P1070832 - Copy (Custom).JPG

Jim

Grand Master
And a damn good looking pen emerges from it all Brian .. Looks very nice indeed to say you had your issues .. Stig of the dump don't have a look in against you my friend ... :ciggrin:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Wow Grumps showing off a bit of talent there init . After seeing this bamboo stuff I keep on eyeing up Mrs Eds bamboo chopping board..should get at least a dozen blanks out of it .:thinks::thinks::thinks:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Lovely piece of timber Brian with a lovely finish but I am not surprised you lost the knurled nuts in that pile on the floor and I wouldn't mind betting you'll loose a mandrel saver in that lot as well !!!!

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
No don't like it get it of real crap throw it in the bloody shavings :winking: x cut bamboo makes one of the best pens ever well done mate love it and you me ol cocker

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
No don't like it get it of real crap throw it in the bloody shavings :winking: x cut bamboo makes one of the best pens ever well done mate love it and you me ol cocker
OOOHHH how long have you been waiting to say that dad :mooney2::mooney2::mooney2::mooney2:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Brian,

Among the best pens I have seen using Bamboo years ago I made a lot of them always finding the end grain needed sealing atherwise it looked like Palm Tree another test of strength for me.

Absolutely beaut pen my friend one of the best as well.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Thanks for the lovely comments everybody and dad.
Muchly appreciated init?
Here's a couple more pics to show a bit more of the wonderful pattern in the Bamboo.

P1070839 (2) (Custom).JPG

P1070838 (2) (Custom).JPG

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).