• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Tool handles

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
What is the best way to drill the hole for the tool in the end of a hand that you have made there are method i have seen but they dont look to safe

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I drill the hole first add the ferule and mount it in the tailstock then shape the spindle.
Allow a bit to be cut off afterwards flush with the ferule before glueing in the tool.
I am not saying it right but that's how I do it.
Obviously you have to work that end down to get the ferule on first.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I put the drill bit in a Jacobs chuck into the headstock. I make a dimple in the handle where I want the hole to be and put the handle between the drill bit and live centre in the tailstock, hold the handle firmly and wind in the tailstock. It may not be the way to do it, but never had any problems with it.

Peter

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Four candles ? I think I need pictures to understand what's going on here.:nooidea:.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I do mine the safe way first slow the lathe down mark the centre of one end of the new handle to be then grip the other end in the 4 jaw chuck arm the tailstock with a jacob chuck and lip and spur drill-bit sink the point of the drill bit into the wood and drill out the same way you would a pen blank
some do it the other way round drill bit in the headstock grip the wood with something like an adjustable spanner or pipe grips and wind the wood onto the drill bit could be extremely dangerous

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
I cut the blank square in section & hold it in my chuck jaws, I then simply put the size brad point drill I need in a chuck in the tailstock, bring up the tailstock so the drill bit is on center & secures the blank between centers & then drill at slow speed whilst winding the tailstock in.

When I`m as deep as I want to go I stop the lathe retract the tailstock, chuck & drill bit, replace the chuck with a live center in the tailstock, bring that up to the hole & turn my handle. This ensures the hole is parallel & center in the handle as it doesn`t leave the lathe after initial drilling until after the handle is finished.

This is just the way I`ve learnt to do it, after my first attempt left me with a tool whose blade wasn`t parallel with its handle.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I do mine the safe way first slow the lathe down mark the centre of one end of the new handle to be then grip the other end in the 4 jaw chuck arm the tailstock with a jacob chuck and lip and spur drill-bit sink the point of the drill bit into the wood and drill out the same way you would a pen blank
some do it the other way round drill bit in the headstock grip the wood with something like an adjustable spanner or pipe grips and wind the wood onto the drill bit could be extremely dangerous

I agree, if you grip the wood with anything other than your hands it would be dangerous, otherwise it is just as safe if not more so than wood in the headstock and drill in the tailstock.

Peter

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
So put the square blank in the chuck jaws then drill the hole the bring live center in and turn to size is that the genral idea also is it best to glue square section tools in

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).