• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Following on from the hollower thread..........

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Having had a bash at a small lidded box at the weekend (out of my mistakenly bought 50mm sq spindles) with some limited success I have a question for you more experienced bunch.

I see on Youtube some (respected?) turners using spindle gouges to hollow out boxes.

My confusion is that I thought using spindle gouges for hollowing was a no no ? Surely it should be a bowl gouge or a maybe a scraper ?

Or have I just managed to confuse myself ?

Opinions / advice gratefully received.

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
If you are making a small hole in say a vase then by pushing a spindle gouge tip first into the centre of what would be your entry point then the spindle gouge will do the same as a drill bit whereas a bowl gouge is for general hollowing out of a bowl!!!!

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Not by any means an expert, Phil, but I tried hollowing with a spindle gouge and got a number of edge 'catches' - the last of which wrenched the piece out of the chuck and broke the base off in the process. So I switched to a scraper on the second attempt and had no problem. Again, must admit I'm no expert but looking at the bits that most of these hollowing tools come with a fair proportion of them are scrapers in exotic shapes to shape curves.

I must admit that Woody did patiently explain the difference between a spindle gouge and a bowl gouge to me, but he must have forgotten that I wear my 'plonker society' badge with pride - not a whole lot stuck! Sorry Woody - bad student, not bad teacher.

:pray:

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
If you are making a small hole in say a vase then by pushing a spindle gouge tip first into the centre of what would be your entry point then the spindle gouge will do the same as a drill bit whereas a bowl gouge is for general hollowing out of a bowl!!!!

That's what's confusing me, they use the spindle gouge to do the hollowing out as well as the initial penetration.

Jim

Grand Master
Phill, i use a finger nailed profile gouge for boxes with very good results, unlike bowls you start from the inside coming out on boxes ... :thumbs:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
That's what's confusing me, they use the spindle gouge to do the hollowing out as well as the initial penetration.

Yes I believe you can Phill although it is something that I have never tried. It is quite common among the older turners to use it like a drill bit except you don't twist the gouge but you must keep pulling it out to clear the shavings!!!!

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
You can use a spindle gouge to make boxes and small bowls the only reason for a bowl gouge is it has a wall on both sides of the blade is to give added strength to the blade a spindle gouge works extremely well just needs a bit of practice also some grind the wings back work from the middle by drilling a hole first by just pushing the tool into the wood then work your way towards the edge in the same manner I showed you Phill when you done your bowl at mine.
But in saying all that you have two bowl gouges so why would you want to use a spindle gouge the only reason I can think of is small tools for a small job but you can get short bowl gouges happy turning Phill

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
I think I will leave this well alone.
As I would be flying around the garage, spindle gouge in hand shouting out loud ' More super glue ' :sob:

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
You can use a spindle gouge to make boxes and small bowls the only reason for a bowl gouge is it has a wall on both sides of the blade is to give added strength to the blade a spindle gouge works extremely well just needs a bit of practice also some grind the wings back work from the middle by drilling a hole first by just pushing the tool into the wood then work your way towards the edge in the same manner I showed you Phill when you done your bowl at mine.
But in saying all that you have two bowl gouges so why would you want to use a spindle gouge the only reason I can think of is small tools for a small job but you can get short bowl gouges happy turning Phill

Thanks guys, starts to make sense now.

With the pieces I was doing they were about 40mm internal dia, so my 3/8 bowl gouge is way too big.

I have a 1/4 spindle gouge and 1/4 round nose scraper so was using those which seem to be OK.

I did use the technique as you describe Woody, but then got to thinking if what I was doing was "wrong".

Will add a small square scraper to Santas list then :bwink:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).