• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Some simple segmenting

jttheclockman

Here is a few pens made that anyone can make and again the designs are endless. I call these simple segmenting because they do not require cutting the blank all the way through. I even showed the jig used. I cut these on my tablesaw.

As always thanks for looking and any questions or comments are always welcomed.

This is a white acrylic blank with red and black pickguard material for the inlay.

Here is the jig I use and the beginnings of the next simple segmented pen. These are black acrylic with aluminum inlays.

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
That is brilliant :love_it:, it's going in my 'have a go' bucket.
Thanks for sharing it, love your jig. Have you anymore jigs up your sleeves?

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
They are very nice pens yes very very nice pens strange how time changes peoples perception I can remember showing pens a few years made with aluminium and brass on seperate pens may I add and getting a lot of negative remarks about using metal but now thank goodness they are considered works of art well done John

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Thanks for posting .. you have inspired me to perhaps have a go myself one day.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
A very simple way of doing it without a jig is to tilt your mitre fence to the required angle with a stop clamped to it or tilt the bandsaw table for a different efect and use the mitre fence with wooden plate fixed to it and a stop clamped to it that's if you only want to do a one of or just to try your hand at it before making up jigs simple job done

jttheclockman

Frankie, you're thinking about the pen in this tutorial thread. PLEASE NOTE that in the first paragraph of the tutorial I credited John, because it was the very pen he shows here which inspired my work. Thanks John!

Well how about that. Now lets be even abit clearer. This technique has been around awhile and I am not the first to do this. There was a fella that went by the name Eagle on the IAP site. He was one of the most innovative pen makers there. If I am not mistaken he was the one who coined the "feather Phrase" When he passed there was a great talent lost. He had his runins on that site but no one could ever argue his talent.

Now I am so glad to see that I made a difference in someone taken on something I had shown. I left that site because of various reasons but when there I tried to share as much as I could in any blank I made. If there is anything that I show that someone wants more in detail help with I am more than willing to share. I will take photos if it helps.

JimJam that is a great looking pen and a well presented tutorial. I am not good with tutorials but you did it well. Thanks for the creds but you took it to another level. Job well done.

jttheclockman

I have read through all the replys and see that others have tried this style before and I want to see them. I want to sse as many pens as I possible can. I thought by joining this site I may have a good chance of seeing things I have never seen. I am excited.

As mentioned yes there are other ways of doing this technique. As well as there are many ways of doing any blank made. You have to trust your instincts and let your mind work. You will be surprised of the ideas you can come up with. I am hoping that others will look at some of my blanks and take it to another level and expand. I am starving for new and creative works.

As mentioned about the Celtic knot, yes this is similar and in fact that jig is what I use. I have one for 45 degrees as shown and one for 60 degrees. Both those black Sierra pens were done with one of each.

Someone mentioned about using metals before and getting some heat for it. Not sure why that would be. If you look at all your top brand pen makers they always incorporate metals and to me it enhances a pen blank. I have a ton of things I will be doing over the next year that has all kinds of metals used in various shapes, so you will be seeing more from me.

Jim

Grand Master
Just caught up with this thread John, and anything that has segmented in always catches my eye and my full attention, and these pens have done just that .. Super pieces, and i agree, David's tutorial at the time made it easy for us to follow, with his end result being top quality .. :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).