• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Things look promising for the Cake Box Light Box Mk1

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Results of the first trials of the 'Cake box light box'.

This first test was kept as basic as possible so as to judge if there was any benefit over other methods that I have been using to photograph my pens. This has kept the level of sophistication on a par with my other methods. Hopefully by adding various extras, including lighting things should improve.

I did no more than half assemble the box, place the subject inside and put the whole assembly near to a window. The camera used was a Panasonic Lumix TZ10 (which has seen better days) and was hand held, settings were on Auto. There was no artificial lighting used and the pictures haven't been photo shopped.

The subject, a Sierra in white acrylic was chosen deliberately just to see if it would stand out from the background

So far it will cost me £1.99 + vat once I have paid Mrs Ed.:whistling:

C & Cs if you please

Attachments

• P1050292-1.JPG
    P1050292-1.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 78
  • P1050287.JPG
    P1050287.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 76
  • P1050288.JPG
    P1050288.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 76
  • P1050290.JPG
    P1050290.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 76

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
As you say Ed PROMISING indeed.
The addition of light to reduce the reflection would enhance that enormously init?
You don't mention the flash mate was that on auto or switched off. I have a setting that flashes twice to do something, not sure what but it does help.

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Well done, Ed. Try getting different coloured bases so you can vary them according to the pen colour. Although your sample looks good it would be even better with a less-matching background. This from a nerd who can't sharpen chisels NOR take decent photographs!!!

Bob.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Thanks for posting this up Ed, keep experimenting, I don`t have enough time it the day to try all the things I want to, so someone posting on this sort of thing is a big help, cheers:thumbs::thumbs:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
That's actually very good for the low level of sophistication so far. As has already been said, the card will need stiffening somehow (lamination comes to mind but how?) and some additional white light (LED strip?) would make the photo more vibrant. What are he dimensions of the box you are using?

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
As you say Ed PROMISING indeed.
The addition of light to reduce the reflection would enhance that enormously init?
You don't mention the flash mate was that on auto or switched off. I have a setting that flashes twice to do something, not sure what but it does help.

I think it reduces red eye Brian when foto-ing peoples innit

Incognitouk

this looks very good Ed if your looking to keep the costs as low as possible i have a little suggestion for you especially if your using natural light, raid the misses kitchen cupboards and get a little baking foil wrap it on a card and use it to bounce/reflect some of the natural light into the box.

Edit*
This may also eliminate the having to use the flash :)

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
this looks very good Ed if your looking to keep the costs as low as possible i have a little suggestion for you especially if your using natural light, raid the misses kitchen cupboards and get a little baking foil wrap it on a card and use it to bounce/reflect some of the natural light into the box.

Edit*
This may also eliminate the having to use the flash :)

Cheers for the suggestion Incognitouk, baking foil will be the next step forward.. No flash was used in this first try out ... bearing in mind that approx 16% of natural light is reflected back to source with double glazing the foil idea should help a lot.

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
That's actually very good for the low level of sophistication so far. As has already been said, the card will need stiffening somehow (lamination comes to mind but how?) and some additional white light (LED strip?) would make the photo more vibrant. What are he dimensions of the box you are using?

Hi David

Dimensions are 330mm x 350 mm x 350, but there are quite a few other sizes available to me. I think the easiest way of stiffening would be to glue extra card to the outsides as I can't see how you would laminate a cube. Thing is Sue has a shop full of these so I can play around to my hearts content with them.

Jim

Grand Master
Personally i would like to have seen the cake, not that i like them of course .... :whistling::whistling:

For the first attempt Ed, these pictures are very clear, it shows off the accents very well and you can also differentiate between the blank and the cardboard .. A tad more work on this i i think you will crack it for sure .. Then we can celebrate with a cake ... :ciggrin:

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
That's a really simple idea.... I can just see the cake shop owners wondering why all these nerds are coming in and wanting to buy an empty cake box.. :thinks:

Eh up Ed,, you could do a side line on here of empty boxes..:tongue:

Yep great looking pictures that have come out really well considering you have given it the biggest challenge, white on white.. :bwink:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Personally i would like to have seen the cake, not that i like them of course .... :whistling::whistling:

For the first attempt Ed, these pictures are very clear, it shows off the accents very well and you can also differentiate between the blank and the cardboard .. A tad more work on this i i think you will crack it for sure .. Then we can celebrate with a cake ... :ciggrin:

Here you go Jim ..just click on the cakes images for more cakes ..enjoy. The Cake Room - Cakes

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Well now all she needs to do is make a wood turning themed cake

Alex I don't think that a lathe would faze her at all as people ask her for the weirdest things. For instance a lady asked for a cake suitable for her goth daughters 21st birthday which had to have a full life size skull as the main theme. This is what she came up with, it's all edible, the full size skull is made from white chocolate the plinth is the cake....298210_212572065462677_2518039_n.jpg

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).