• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Sorby Turnmaster or traditional tools for a newbie?

deejaymobile

Apprentice Member
Hi all,

Would there be any advantage / disadvantage in going for the Robert Sorby Turnmaster tools instead of say a Roughing gouge, Beading tool to start my woodturning journey? Would I need the grinder set-up for sharpening with the Turnmaster set too? Please bear in mind I am a complete novice with turning.

Sorry if these questions have previously been answered, but I did search the forum and couldn't seem to find anything that answered my questions.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated. I did post a very similar question on a different non penturning forum and am just after any opinions or views here too.

Cheers,

Dave.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Sorry I cant help you with this one a little information on what you intend to turn would be a great help as there are chisels that are designer for different jobs like spindle work and bowl turning

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Hi Dave, I have found that tools are a very personal thing and therefore different people use different tools. Some may use a skew chisel for just about everything and others a roughing gouge and skew chisel or a spindle gouge. I have bought a variety of tools to try and usually revert to a roughing gouge and skew chisel for pens. If there is anyone near to you that you could try or be shown how to use the various tools, then that would help you to decide.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I would say the best place to start for a beginner is a roughing gouge or a continental spindle gouge and a skew around 1/2" to 3/4" and a parting tool you may find that you want to get a smaller spindle gouge about 1/2" at a latter date depending if you want to do some fancy work on the letter opener and pens I hope you find this of some help

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
I agree with Paul, what tool is best for one turner will not always suit another. Like him though, I almost always revert to a roughing gouge and skew chisel for pens.

The Turnmaster, and similar TCT tipped tools are essentially scrapers. In my opinion they work best with acrylic blanks.

As Paul suggests, the best thing is to try some out before you decide. If you are anywhere near me you are welcome to come and see what works best for you.

Edit: I have just seen Woody's reply above. The tools he suggests would work well for most people.

deejaymobile

Apprentice Member
Thank you very much guys!

I'm in SW London, so you are a little too far away from me Walter... :oP Thanks for the offer though.

I may see if I can get over to SL Hardwoods which is a shop near'ish to me and get a feel for the tools there.

Thanks guys!

Jim

Grand Master
Dave, the Turnmaster is a very good tool and yes it can be used for making pens, but i wouldn't advise it for a beginner, it is very unforgiving when the blank is near the bone so to speak .. Once you have the confidence with turning tools then this tool can be very much part of your kit as it is a very versatile tool .. To sharpen it just run a diamond file over the top ... :thumbs:

deejaymobile

Apprentice Member
Dave, the Turnmaster is a very good tool and yes it can be used for making pens, but i wouldn't advise it for a beginner, it is very unforgiving when the blank is near the bone so to speak .. Once you have the confidence with turning tools then this tool can be very much part of your kit as it is a very versatile tool .. To sharpen it just run a diamond file over the top ...

Thanks Jim, that's exactly the type of information I was after!

Lathe arrives tomorrow, can't wait!

Cheers,

Dave.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).