• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

How i use a gouge and skew making pens

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I have often talked about both couple of pics. Please note my toolrest a fantastic happenstance for me was when making the rest and welding to the stem I cut the stem at 45 degrees and that angle allows me to rest the chisel flat on a larger plate if you like not on a round or chisel face giving me a relaxed way to work. Using the skew on the flat gives me about a 400 grit finish to start with. This morning I asked Wilma to take the pics for me.

Kind regards Peter:goesred:

Attachments

• DSCF0002.JPG
    DSCF0002.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 128
  • DSCF0001.jpg
    DSCF0001.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 124

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Using the Skew. Peter.:phew::goesred:

Sorry about the repeat gouge buy more or less the same angle for both the gouge and skew shown side by side.

Attachments

• DSCF0004.JPG
    DSCF0004.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 125
  • DSCF0005.JPG
    DSCF0005.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 124

ilya

Interesting. Toolrest looks more than 45 degrees on the photo, may be it is just from this point.

So it looks that with the skew you are scraping, and not peeling. Less of a chance of making an error I guess.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
When the pics were taken I shifted my hand out of the way to respect the photographer. In 1972 we bought a studio that was over a hundred years a Photography business we were partners lived in a main street above the studio with our six children, every semi trailer in Australia changed gears three times outside our room all night I learned to deeply respect the taker of pics SWMBO cause she is wonderful to me. So the aim of the pics was to show roughly the position of the chisels and the angle of the tool holder.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
I like the idea on the 45 degree angle on the tool rest Peter, and this must save quite a bit on sandpaper ... :bwink:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Thanks for sharing this Peter, what pen are you making there?

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Paul, the pen I made there yet to photograph is a Huon Pine Burl one will get tuit today if I can, much to do hay fever time over here. It worked out well IMHO. Noticed while turning ones mind dwells on different aspects of the game to share that may seem boring to some but interesting to others. Feel its like family acceptance reactions slow but really dont miss a thing.

Kind regards Peter.:rolling:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).