• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Gouge problem

Penfold

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help, when turning my pen blanks, my gouge feels like it is chattering (if thats the right word for it), I have sharpened ita few times, just can't work out what is wrong.
Many thanks.

David

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
If the blank isn't flat / smooth / etc this can also make the tool feel like 'chatter' is going on, bit unusual for pen blanks tho.
Are your bushes fitting fully on the mandrel, by that I mean are the holes in the bushes say 8mm and your mandrel 7mm???
Is the mandrel bent?

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Try it again with that one if it happens change it for another and see what happens make sure also that it is seated in the handle and not come loose.

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
If you can, check that the mandrel hasn't bent slightly also.

I experienced the same and had the luxury of being able to clock it, and it was surprising how little it was out, but it was that causing my problem.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Are you turning a different type of wood? maybe a bit harder? or softer even?

Mr Finch

First Name
Coll
Is it also possible to easily vary the speed of your lathe? Not all at the same time as the above, but if you're finding this is happening on all blanks, try changing it a little.

Also, have you tried turning anything that's not a pen? Do you get the same result?

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Tool rest too low / high, far away. = wrong angle of dangle, work from the bevel to blade should cure issue.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Quick check for the mandrel if it is a separate type remove and roll it on a flat surface you can see easily if its flat and round. Check your lathe centres ie a dead centre in the head and tail stock brought together with a thin strip of metal like a feeler guage will show if and where there is a problem in centreing. Pressure on the mandrel end is critical too much is awful and shows not enough it slips, why I use a mandrel saver. My two bobs worth.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).