• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Benifit of garage sales

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Several months ago we had installed a simple but expensive device that sucks hot air in the roof up near the ridge driven by a simple motor with a Hep filter in the path to insure fresh safe air where there is Insulation in the roof. Through our last winter it automatically via seven tunnels to various rooms raised the house temp to around 18 to 20 degrees celcius in the house even on high frost days if the sun came out. Where we live is the sunshine Capital in Australia ie number of sunny days.

Many years ago I was at a garage sale and spied two aircon exhaust fans very efficient air movers low wattage motors.

In my pen turning area one the smaller one vents air to atmosphere over the VL100 Lathe and yesterday I stripped the bigger one cause it would not fit up the roof ladder access to where I dry pen blanks reassembled checked it and prepared the way to fit it through a whirly bird made redundant in the installation for warm air. During the week I will finish it will exhaust the residual hot air from the roof near the pitch and will be switched via a pull switch after dark to pull in the cooler night air.

Pics show the smaller fan mounted above my lathe the stair ladder, the larger fan awaiting the installation and a glimpse of the other unit in the roof.

The net result of the recycling of hot air in the roof gave us a considerable saving on our hydronic gas operated system our largest bill each year.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Attachments

• DSCF0004-133.JPG
    DSCF0004-133.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCF0005.JPG
    DSCF0005.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 28

Jim

Grand Master
It is marvellous that after a few years your investment in these fans are now paying dividends Peter ... :wink:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).