• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

When were FP ink cartridges introduced?

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I found what I remembered as my old school fountain pen, a Platignum. I was so chuffed and my wife said it must be 50 years old, I unscrewed the lower barrel and there was a large empty ink cartridge. I can't remember using in ink carts in school, in fact I am fairly sure they weren't around then. Maybe I have just made a mistake or am just creating my own false memories and this isn't my old school pen, but I would like to think it is.:thinks:

Peter

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
They had cartridges when I was a kid though obviously that`s of no help as I`m so young :whistling::whistling:

Joshing apart that`s 40 years ago :shocking:

Jim

Grand Master
I remember buying the cartridges from Woolworths in the 70's if it helps Peter ... :thumbs:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Ed would be the man with the answer in my days at school it was the old wooden quill with a bloody horrible nib that dripped ink all over the place especially when you flicked them at someone LOL we never had fountain pens at all and I left school in 1957

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
They had cartridges when I was a kid though obviously that`s of no help as I`m so young :whistling::whistling:

Joshing apart that`s 40 years ago :shocking:

I can imagine they were around in the 70s as Jim has confirmed, but I need them to have been around before I left school in 1967/68 so around 1965-1967. I suppose I could have taken the filler off and just used cartridges, but I don't remember doing that at all and my long-term memory is usually quite good.:sob:

Peter

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Sad but when I first started school we had a dip pen and inkwell in the desk complete with an ink monitor and a milk monitor that used to keep an eye you.
within a year or so the inkwells were gone and fountain pens were not only allowed but compulsory and we had to buy our own, my first one had a sac to fill with a side lever, I still have that pen.
As Rowdy says early 60's I now had a platignum cartridge pen which I also still have.
Not sure if it answers your question but brought back memories for me init?

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I remember buying the cartridges from Woolworths in the 70's if it helps Peter ... :thumbs:

Maybe I was just too tight to buy them or too poor, I remember thinking that cutlery was was jewellery, we were so poor:bwink:

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Yes Peter, I can remember using them about '67' same pen as well .... shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!!! :whistling:

It's about that time, so I am a bit disappointed that I haven't got an earlier Fountain Pen. I am still happy I have come across it, though.

Thanks for your memory:thumbs:

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Sad but when I first started school we had a dip pen and inkwell in the desk complete with an ink monitor and a milk monitor that used to keep an eye you.
within a year or so the inkwells were gone and fountain pens were not only allowed but compulsory and we had to buy our own, my first one had a sac to fill with a side lever, I still have that pen.
As Rowdy says early 60's I now had a platignum cartridge pen which I also still have.
Not sure if it answers your question but brought back memories for me init?

I remember the inkwells, dip pens and blotting paper that textured many a classroom ceiling as well as those pesky monitors.

Well you have confirmed what Rowdy said and what I couldn't remember, the ink cartridges must have been the digital technology of the day:winking:

Thanks also for your memory, I now feel certain that it was my school pen, well my last one at any rate.

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Cutlery is jewellery

:waver:Love it, I am going to save that to show my Granddaughter, she doesn't really believe that I could think it was jewellery, now I can confirm it.

Now do you have a photo of me getting up two hours before I went to bed so that I could work for 25 hours straight:cheerup:

Peter

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
Maybe I was just too tight to buy them or too poor, I remember thinking that cutlery was was jewellery, we were so poor:bwink:

Peter

Cutlery.....

GC: Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work at the mill every day for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would beat us around the head and neck with a broken bottle, if we were LUCKY!

TG: Well we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road clean with our tongues. We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for fourpence every six years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a bread knife.

EI: Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, (pause for laughter), eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."

MP: But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
:waver:Love it, I am going to save that to show my Granddaughter, she doesn't really believe that I could think it was jewellery, now I can confirm it.

Now do you have a photo of me getting up two hours before I went to bed so that I could work for 25 hours straight:cheerup:

Peter

I don't have a photo but we do power naps when working long shifts we call it microwave sleep.
That's when you have 8 hrs sleep in 20 mins hope it helps.

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
I found what I remembered as my old school fountain pen, a Platignum. I was so chuffed and my wife said it must be 50 years old, I unscrewed the lower barrel and there was a large empty ink cartridge. I can't remember using in ink carts in school, in fact I am fairly sure they weren't around then. Maybe I have just made a mistake or am just creating my own false memories and this isn't my old school pen, but I would like to think it is.:thinks:

Peter

Cartridge pens as we know them were introduced over 50 years ago.For instance Parkers first cartridge pen was their very successful Parker 45 which went on sale in 1960 in the US, followed soon after by Parker UK. I sold an early US version not too long ago which had rubber sac and press bar filler which was removable so that you could replace it with the new fangled cartridge , on previous models the filler was permanently attached and not removable.Below is 1980s Newhaven version of the 45
9773978.jpg

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Ed would be the man with the answer in my days at school it was the old wooden quill with a bloody horrible nib that dripped ink all over the place especially when you flicked them at someone LOL we never had fountain pens at all and I left school in 1957

Well you supprised me, I would have thought that you used slate and chalk.... :face:

I had the same pen as you Peter, however I was the envy of all the class as they thought it was an antique ..:funny:

Being a 60's child they were already in for what I can remember ..

Mr Finch

First Name
Coll
Wikipedia suggests that the replaceable ink cartridge was first introduced in 1827!

Being only 41 I don't remember dip pens and ink pots but my desks at Junior school still had the hole for the ink well to sit in.

As for pens, although I am making them, the wife will only let me use chalk as it is easier than in or crayon to get off the walls...

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil

Thought you had to write with chalk on slate boards?

EDIT - Eamonn got there first, perhaps should read the whole thread first!!!

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).