• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

What wood, please?

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi, Guys,

Just been given this section of trunk. Measures 12" across X 4" thick, and weighs a bloody ton! Not ideal for a bowl but maybe OK for pen blanks when it dries out. The guy doesn't know what the wood is, so maybe you can help?

Regards,

Bob.

MW 2.JPGMW 1.JPG

Jim

Grand Master
I have seen some Cherry and Silver Birch similar to that bark Bob, i am no expert so don't quote me my friend ... :bwink:

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
It not some sort of beech is it as beech is heavy when wet and looks like the

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
I have just acquired some pieces of Ornamental Cherry ..looks the same as yours.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
're right, its from the Prunus family which incorporates many fruit trees, such as apricot, almond, cherries and plums, but I think that it is a non fruiting variety that begins with H. And I cant remember the name and its driving me nuts! The sap and outer heartwood is a fairly constant cardboard brown colour and the inner heartwood can have some decent streaks of pink. But I cant remember the *****name! It is heavy because it is sopping wet and it will split worse than normal fruit woods if it is what I think it is.

Bugging me big time!!

MarkW

To go along with this does anyone know what wood smells like aniseed? I had a delivery of logs for my fire and it is mostly seasoned ash with some apple, cherry and this liquorice smelling wood.

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
To go along with this does anyone know what wood smells like aniseed? I had a delivery of logs for my fire and it is mostly seasoned ash with some apple, cherry and this liquorice smelling wood.

Could be a bit of old stock room door from a sweetie shop.:winking:

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi, guys - thanks for your responses. I'll go with cherry as it's a common tree round these parts, however - when this was cut (since being posted) the inner section of the trunk turned deep brown, leading me to think WALNUT (?), Maybe it was caused by the moisture?
Thanks again!
Hi, Neil, Congrats on your half-century, matey! You'll think of the wood tonight over tea with the vicar, and what comes from your mouth will lead to you being expelled from the church, LOL!!!
Bob.

Bob.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).