• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Chuck jaw screws

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
Dose any one know what size the screw that hold the nova chuck jaws on are as need to get some new ones

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
M6 x 10 BUT......................... the countersink heads are a non standard size, now there's a surprise. :whistling:

If you get std ones they will sit proud of the jaws slightly.

Record Power do a set of screws including allen keys etc at 15 quid :rolling:

Jim

Grand Master
I did see some of these on ebay a while ago, a lot cheaper than 15 quid ... :down:

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
15 quid, you got to be joking..

The only difference as I know is that the chuck holes are not a standard countersink, meaning they have made the cask hole smaller...... It doesn't mean anything to the type of screw you use.... Yes a standard screw will not go in without a bit of "tweaking" but all it needs is the head turning down by 0.25mm and it will then go in..that's my experience... And that can be done in your wood lathe with a file.... Simple.

But then again, what do I know.....:nooidea:

Just for you info,search on flea bay and you will find a m6 x 10 csk hi tensile Allen screws for less than you think.. It's the hi tensile that you need to make sure you get..

If I had to pay more than £3 for a pack of ten then I would need my head looking at.. Some would say I do anyway..:thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Or open up the countersink hole in the jaws to the standard size maybe?

Took the works from my mouth Walter, all the way through reading this I thought nobody has spotted the obvious answer.
A counter sink and a set of taps and size is not a problem init?

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Or open up the countersink hole in the jaws to the standard size maybe?

That can be done yes, but it's not as simple as popping the pin in a lathe or drill chuck and filing it down. And all the chuck jaws will need doing as well.. So it's easier to do just the pins, but what do I know..:nooidea: :thinks:

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Took the works from my mouth Walter, all the way through reading this I thought nobody has spotted the obvious answer.
A counter sink and a set of taps and size is not a problem init?

It's only on certain jaws that the simple countersunk is the problem, we quite a few jaws are recessed quite deep.
Not saying it can't be done but it is easier to do the pins..

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).