PDA

View Full Version : Competition

Grump
02-12-13, 19:43
Have we stopped dong them?
The George Wilson platterbowl was the last one I saw.
He would have wanted them to continue init?
Old George loved to look at the compo and enter it with his weird creations.
I understand maybe not at Christmas but can we start again in the new year?
I would be happy to up a prize if that's an issue.?

bellringer
02-12-13, 19:45
Ye it seems a bit like that

Buckeye
02-12-13, 19:58
Have we stopped dong them?
The George Wilson platterbowl was the last one I saw.
He would have wanted them to continue init?
Old George loved to look at the compo and enter it with his weird creations.
I understand maybe not at Christmas but can we start again in the new year?
I would be happy to up a prize if that's an issue.?

Great idea, I would contribute something to the prize pot, in fact if everyone contributed something we could have something for each month.

Peter

bellringer
02-12-13, 20:02
Great idea, I would contribute something to the prize pot, in fact if everyone contributed something we could have something for each month.

Peter

That not a bad idea

Jim
02-12-13, 20:50
The reason why i stopped was due to lack of interest at the time, the last three comps would have been dour without the five or six hard core who do enter each month .. :thinks:

We can of course resurrect them if we have the interest ...

bellringer
02-12-13, 20:56
we need to get people interested

Woody
02-12-13, 21:04
Well I think if Jim starts the compo again out of respect for the time, effort and expense Jim puts in more people should take part I for one knows how frustrating it can be to pay out and launch a compo with all the promises of taking part then it just dies a death the compo Brian mentioned regarding the Goerge memorial cost some of us quite a bit to set up and the winners from each month were going to be entered in this compo after a full year so please if Jim dose restart it support him

Buckeye
02-12-13, 21:06
we need to get people interested

Alex, if you bake a cake, I'll pour the red wine for those old enough and we can have a brain storm. Bikini clad girls do it for motoring, so what or who can we use for Pens:thinks:

Peter

bellringer
02-12-13, 21:09
I will bake a cake cant promise you will get any of it

Grump
02-12-13, 21:12
Alex, if you bake a cake, I'll pour the red wine for those old enough and we can have a brain storm. Bikini clad girls do it for motoring, so what or who can we use for Pens:thinks:

Peter
I'll post a pic of me in a mankini if people don't get interested. How's that?

bellringer
02-12-13, 21:13

right everyone has been auto entered now

Grump
02-12-13, 21:15
right everyone has been auto entered now

Party Pooper.:down:

Jim
02-12-13, 21:23

Please no ... We will do what ever it takes ... :vomit:

Buckeye
02-12-13, 21:24

Wow, a Bust of grumps...or is it a Grump of Busts:whistling:

Peter

Woody
02-12-13, 21:27
I wish this would stop Doug wont sleep again him and David will have nightmares all night Brian in a sorry I cant say it what an horrid thought :face::face:

Buckeye
02-12-13, 21:27
I will bake a cake cant promise you will get any of it

That's okay, I have control of the wine:up:

Peter

paulm
02-12-13, 21:42
I'll be interested if you DON'T..... NOOOOOOOOOOOO thats just wrong.:nonono:

Jim
02-12-13, 21:55
Another thing that came to mind about the comp was how does people feel when not winning ??? I mean the last few comps has seen some very well made pens that anyone of them could have won, we even had tie-breakers proving my sentiments .. I feel there is a better way of doing this, but just not thought of it yet ... :down:

Grump
02-12-13, 22:04
Another thing that came to mind about the comp was how does people feel when not winning ??? I mean the last few comps has seen some very well made pens that anyone of them could have won, we even had tie-breakers proving my sentiments .. I feel there is a better way of doing this, but just not thought of it yet ... :down:
Suicidal but I am still here:kiss::kiss:
We cant all win however much effort we put in it is still a bit of fun and keeps me turning something I might not have done otherwise.
Personally I didn't think it was very fitting that George should have had a bullet pen when he was the first to object to them as pens but I still made and entered one to keep with the spirit of it.
I think the democratic way you have done them in the past has been a good way.
Now the membership has grown even more if we keep it to a simple comp that everyone can enter it could still be good.

Buckeye
02-12-13, 22:04
The only comp I have seen was the bullet pen October one, I thought it was a shame that the entrant weren't named as well as the winner.

There can only be one winner and it is not a reflection on someone if they don't win, especially if the winner has been voted by the members as such.

Peter

silver
02-12-13, 22:20
Another thing that came to mind about the comp was how does people feel when not winning ??? :

Suicidal, not even the start of it,,,,, just think how Ireland felt when they lost in the last few seconds last weekend... Now multiply it by Brian's age....:sob::funny: then again I have shared a win....:thumbs:

stevenw1963
02-12-13, 22:27
Got to be the democratic way, everyone voting for their favourite.
I may not have entered any comps, due to not feeling my pens were up to it & the choice of pens to be made, but I did vote wherever possible.

Jim
02-12-13, 22:34
I may not have entered any comps, due to not feeling my pens were up to it

That is one of my concerns Steven, which is part of what i said to how people feel when they have just put forward what they believe to be one of the best pens made .. Again Peter asks why i never added the contestants after a competition, this was why .. They probably didn't feel to good about the quality of pen that they entered so i just never put names to all the entrants .. It is very difficult to keep a happy medium .. But now we have more members we can have more ideas put forward, to help us go forward .. :thinks:

paulm
02-12-13, 22:37

Its a worse feeling not winning the lottery :down:

Woody
02-12-13, 22:39
I think the same way Brian dose it is just a bit of fun win or lose it is forum entertainment and newbie encouragement keep it simple and at a level that all members can partake winning and losing are all part of life

Grump
02-12-13, 22:45
We are all curious to know who makes what pen in the compo's which is natural behaviour for us mere mortals.
Far from not being good enough, we all are, it gives us something to aspire to.
I look at some of the junk I have posted in here and other forums in the past.
Sometimes I look back back and laugh and sometimes I wish I could do it again but never am I embarrassed by it nor not good enough it is all part of learning and improving.
Everybody who participates here deserves a whacking great big medal, size of a bloody dustbin lid for what they do and show and how they share.
I have seen some stunning work form the same people who have churned out some real crap but it is all part of what we do.
How do we know its not liked unless we ask for opinions?
Love you all init?

Buckeye
02-12-13, 22:49
That is one of my concerns Steven, which is part of what i said to how people feel when they have just put forward what they believe to be one of the best pens made .. Again Peter asks why i never added the contestants after a competition, this was why .. They probably didn't feel to good about the quality of pen that they entered so i just never put names to all the entrants .. It is very difficult to keep a happy medium .. But now we have more members we can have more ideas put forward, to help us go forward .. :thinks:

Okay, I can understand why you didn't name entrants, but are you sure that the entrants wanted it like that? It is a difficult one and I have no idea what the answer is.

Peter

paulm
02-12-13, 22:50
Well, it would be good to get proper, honest feedback on what the pens we belive are the best we've done. That would be very difficult to do without saying whose pen is owned by whom. There could be a thermometer at the side of each pen showing how the votes are going maybe and show the owners at the end.

Basically though if you can't stand loosing you shouldn't enter. I've told myself that hundreds of times :thinks::thinks::thinks:

Jim
02-12-13, 22:52
Okay, I can understand why you didn't name entrants, but are you sure that the entrants wanted it like that? It is a difficult one and I have no idea what the answer is.

Peter

I can answer that by saying i believe only Alex ever asked me who was who ... :thinks:

bellringer
02-12-13, 22:54
It interesting to know who made them

Jim
02-12-13, 22:55
Well, it would be good to get proper, honest feedback on what the pens we belive are the best we've done. That would be very difficult to do without saying whose pen is owned by whom. There could be a thermometer at the side of each pen showing how the votes are going maybe and show the owners at the end.

Basically though if you can't stand loosing you shouldn't enter. I've told myself that hundreds of times :thinks::thinks::thinks:

Paul, this forum has a programme where it can vote on any pen added to the competition, but a long time ago i was asked if it could be hidden so that no one knew whose pen was whose .. That is why all pens was sent to me to post .. We could look at that again for sure ..

Grump
02-12-13, 22:55
There is no shame in any of the compo's they were all bloody good entries apart from mine that is.:thinks:

Buckeye
02-12-13, 23:00
Paul, this forum has a programme where it can vote on any pen added to the competition, but a long time ago i was asked if it could be hidden so that no one knew whose pen was whose .. That is why all pens was sent to me to post .. We could look at that again for sure ..

Jim, it is much better to keep the entrants name secret, until a winner has been decided.

Peter

Woody
02-12-13, 23:02
I think it may help if there is a sticky explaining why we do compo's to encourage, if a learner is going to show a pen then why not show it in a compo which is designed to encourage all turners alike and judging not just on the best pen but also taking into account if the person is a beginner and how good there pen is for a beginner there have been some cracking pens on here from beginners and maybe appoint some one who understand the concept of the compo as a judge and change him/ her every month or another way every other month have the compo for beginners in pen turning only

Buckeye
02-12-13, 23:08
For me the best way of finding a winner is by votes from members rather than a judge.

Peter

Neil
02-12-13, 23:24
Bikini clad girls do it for motoring, so what or who can we use for Pens:thinks:

Peter

Get rid of the Bikinis.

rowdyyates115
02-12-13, 23:27

Holding pink plastic !!! :vomit::vomit::vomit:

Sorry... what a sight..

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

rowdyyates115
02-12-13, 23:37
Well I think if Jim starts the compo again out of respect for the time, effort and expense Jim puts in more people should take part I for one knows how frustrating it can be to pay out and launch a compo with all the promises of taking part then it just dies a death the compo Brian mentioned regarding the Goerge memorial cost some of us quite a bit to set up and the winners from each month were going to be entered in this compo after a full year so please if Jim dose restart it support him

Jim's got my support.... Go for it Jim....:thumbs:

Woody
02-12-13, 23:40
Perhaps that is the way forward put it to the vote compo or no compo

Jimjam66
03-12-13, 08:35
I'm late on this one, but here's my tuppence worth:

I think he compos are vital to the forum, Jim. They keep us coming back to check on progress and votes etc etc and provide fodder for plenty of banter. I don't think anyone minds their pen not winning, as Brian says anyone who enters a pen is already a winner. Secret ballot eliminates bias (I'd NEVER vote for a pen if I knew it was Terry's, however good it was!) but by all means let's see whose pen was who's once the winner has been decided.

I also feel strongly that sometimes people may choose not to participate for one reason or another. I never entered a pen in George's compo for reasons which I have already explained on this forum and which don't bear repeating. BUT I never begrudged any of the entrants, I was thrilled to see what everyone had done with their entries and I voted for my favourite (which didn't win, but then Rowdys pen was every bit as good and in the end there can be only one winner). Apart from the compo which I sponsored the prize for, that is the only one so far that I never entered.

In short: Bring 'em back, Jim! I'll sponsor more prizes with a smile, and I'll enter them unless I've got two arms in casts! If Fiona's hubby can turn with one hand I've got no excuse if only one arm is broken ...

silver
04-12-13, 22:17
Just my point of view..

I believe that if any compos are run then they should be in secret confidence as we have done in previous comps..

Then once the comp has been won/closed then to publish the names of the entrants..

I have always been carefully to photograph my pens differently than my normal ones as not to give away my identity and help stop any guessing...:ciggrin: