• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

How do you price bowls ?

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
Well take the price of the blanks time taken then finishes wear on tool then add a bit if the grain is nice and a bit for profit

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
I would think like anything else Phil it depended on your market .In Chelsea think of a very high number and double it. Round the back streets of Blackpool most people would want it given to them . So somewhere in-between maybe.:nooidea:

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Think of a number greater than my age, double it and add the time of day.

I havent done bowls since my old man died so I wouldn't know what one is worth, but I would do it the same as Alex has said.. then if its a special raise the price. If its an affluent area, raise the price again..:thumbs:

I really wouldn't follow Grumps idea, as you will be left with a bowl that would need pricing at nearly a million quid... :face: and that's just his age.. init.....:funny:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
All I do is 1/ consider the price it cost me to make it 2/ how much I like it then fix a price the more I like it the higher the price but I don't have to worry about profits the last bowl I sold for £95 cost me nothing except my time half a tin of oil but boy was it a nice bowl so to me £90 profit and I'm happy it works for me but if you want to do it as a business then of course it will be a different story with all the overheads like machines, electric, wear and tear deprecation, sanding, polishing, time, accountant, insurances the list is endless that you have to consider or you can take the light hearted attitude I do have fun keep your hobby and dont worry about what other's think both ways can carry risk

Jim

Grand Master
Can't help Phill, but it is interesting to know the score.. As Ed states, it all depends on the area as with anything we make i suppose ... :thumbs:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I don't seel bowls either but you have to know the market and charge just a bit more than they expect to keep them keen.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Neil voiced an opinion with this pens that I think would be just as applicable with bowls.
It's not so much what you want to charge but more a matter of what people will pay.
I don't know if there are any hard and fast rules but through my past experience of business and people I do know that an affluent area isn't necessarily a spending area.
I know some very wealthy people That would spend less than pauper on a pen or bowl.

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
I sold 2 bowls on Saturday, 1 for £5 & 1 for £35.
1 was a smallish bowl approx 6 inch diam but was more a practise piece -£5
1 was a large 15 inch approx diam ash bowl with the black rim, a really nice piece that I really liked, similar to the one I gave Woody & Vi - £35, it was the first piece I sold on Saturday , the chap went out of his way to go find a cash machine so he could buy it.
The large blank was given to me as a Christmas present last year, it came in a bag of blanks the kiddy winkies paid £50 for, so it cost me nowt in effect apart from time & finishes etc.
It just about paid for the whole bag I got.
As it's just a hobby for me too, I don't have the pressure of having to sell to make a decent living, I price it for how much I think it's worth, if no-ne buys it, it gets given away as a Christmas present or some such similar :whistling::whistling::whistling: (& yes, the kids bought me the blanks, I make something out of it then give them it back as presents, tightwad or what :funny::funny:)

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Neil voiced an opinion with this pens that I think would be just as applicable with bowls.
It's not so much what you want to charge but more a matter of what people will pay.
I don't know if there are any hard and fast rules but through my past experience of business and people I do know that an affluent area isn't necessarily a spending area.
I know some very wealthy people That would spend less than pauper on a pen or bowl.

Just to bear out what are very wise words from Brian regarding perceived affluence and spending.

I have two stands, one was at a Christmas Market last weekend, the other at a Cancer Charity Bash at a racecourse. We set up the latter on Friday, opened for business that evening for four hours and then traded on Saturday and Sunday. On the Friday there were some Ladies in attendance who were buying for themselves and their husbands, and they spent, running up bills of £130, £150 and thereabouts each. On the Saturday and the Sunday the same crowd returned and did their Christmas shopping and were buying with an upper limit of £20 as they were buying Christmas presents.

At the Christmas Market, the average ticket price was consistently higher than amongst the attendance (about 5,000) at the Charity bash although all who attended that bash would have had no change from 50 grand for the cars that they turned up in.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Well according to that Mike my mushrooms I'm selling are to expensive and to cheep LOL

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
I agree with grump about people who put out cash, Way back when i had a taxi business and i had more business from the council est than the private est

Ernie

Maybe because they didn't own their own cars ?:devil:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).