• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

9" Burr bowl

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I think it is a Chestnut burr but I'm not completely sure at first I thought it was elm but as soon as I cut it I changed my mind it is 9" wide and from 1 1/2" to 3 1/2" tall so far it has had one coat of oil and is still wet that is why it is standing on a nail board a lot of the bark just fell of but the rest took about 30min to pick of enjoy personally I love it and may keep it for a while
DSCF1907 (2).JPGDSCF1909 (2).JPGDSCF1910 (2).JPG

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
You do have a way of rescuing old lumps of falling to bits stuff init?
Lovely pics dad, your photography has come a long way in the last 100 years init?
I agree it's a Burr and also it's not Elm but I wouldn't guess at waht it is., I will leave that to yourself and Neil to decide.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
That's a beauty Woody, I'm not surprised you're hanging on to it :thumbs:

Definitely Horse Chestnut mate .

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
A quality bowl, that, Woody! I'd be hanging on to it for a bit if I were you - although methinks if you take it to your stall it won't hang around long!

:thinks:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Woody you made it I love it is different by distance from many and superior to most because it is individual you left plenty of timber to show all the feature it has to offer therefore it lives and has a place in the upper class of acheivement.

A keeper for mine

Outstanding effort credit where it belongs. Peter.:thumbs::claps:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Super bowl made from a lovely piece of wood. Turned to a T.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Woody,

Stunning piece, nuff said.

Has given me an idea for a large burr blank I got with the lathe, now all I need is the bottle to put it on the lathe:whistling::whistling:
Wot the big man of the north aint got the bottle like wot us softy southerners have got nuf said :funny::funny::funny::funny:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).